Oh SNAP!

It finally happened. I was making some progress on my DD#2's blanket, with my D bamboo hook, since the rest of my hooks were under a pile of laundry waiting to be folded. I was struggling with a particularly tight stitch when... SNAP! And I sat there staring mutely at headless crochet hook....snapped cleanly right off at the neck.

It forced me to fold the laundry to acquire my aluminum D hook, and after crocheting a bit with it, I realised why I like my aluminums better!

I have to admit, I first thought you were referring to House (when he says Oh Snap) on the tv show. Duh, it has been a long couple of days.

Using the smaller hooks on tight stitches can be a challenge. I have the acrylics but I only use the large hooks when I am in the mood. I am an aluminum gal right now. And I have tons of multiples of every one (acrylic, aluminum, wood) because I know that someday I would be using the only hook and it would go boom and break and that would be it. So I protect my sanity. So far, it hasn't happened but I know it's lurking around for that perfect time.

At least it made you fold the laundry (like you really wanted to stop what you were doing).

LI Roe

BTDT. Stepped on a plastic hook (freebie, came with a kit). I bent a steel doily hook under my rocking chair. It broke when I tried to straighten it :angry. I have multiple sets of plastic and aluminum. I've never used acrylic ones, are they good :think?

Ellie 13

I have to admit, I first thought you were referring to House (when he says Oh Snap) on the tv show. Duh, it has been a long couple of days.

Actually LI Roe, that was where I heard it (I'm a House fan too :)), and when the hook snapped on me, it just ran through my head.

It finally happened. I was making some progress on my DD#2's blanket, with my D bamboo hook, since the rest of my hooks were under a pile of laundry waiting to be folded. I was struggling with a particularly tight stitch when... SNAP! And I sat there staring mutely at headless crochet hook....snapped cleanly right off at the neck.

It forced me to fold the laundry to acquire my aluminum D hook, and after crocheting a bit with it, I realised why I like my aluminums better!

Thanks, I needed that laugh! :lol I have found myself in that position of "staring mutely" before when things went wrong and I needed to say "Oh Snap!" but the words did not even come out. I loved the added aggravation of having to fold laundry (one of my own evil dreaded chores) before you could retrieve the other hook. I actually lost a hook, searched the whole house and wound up having to go to Walmart to get another hook late at night, once. Soon after, I made sure to buy another one of the Boye Master sets so that I would have a duplicate of every hook! So, now I have 2 full sets, plus lots of singles here and there that I tried out of different brands + my two prize Jimbo hooks. No more late night Walmart runs..... at least not for crochet hooks. :)

The kids all around the age of my youngest (just turned 20) all use that "Oh Snap!" euphemism or slang. That along with: "My bad," "Duh," "BFFs," and "What's the 411?" are all slang from the same generation, I guess. I read that Biz Markie was the rapper who popularized "Oh Snap" but it makes most of us think of House! LOL! I guess it depends on which generation you are in, as to who popularized it. My son was saying it long before House, but I didn't repeat it until House kept saying it. Not that I think just because he says or does something that it is okay!!!! Wanted to clear that up right away! :D

Archived