Pearls in crocheting

I have this idéa, only don't know how to make it. Is it possible to crochet for example a heart (or smthing similar) and add small pearls to it? I dont mean glueing the pearls on the crochet, but crocheting them into the thing.. Does anyone understand this idéa? I'd like to make something like hearts with pearls as christmas presents.

I haven't personally worked with bead crochet, but I've read lots of articles about it. You can google "bead crochet" or "crocheting with beads", and come up with lots of information about it! I think it's beautiful, and I don't see why you couldn't use pearls instead of beads! :yes Good luck! Let us see what your finished projects look like!!:hook

Collette

I haven't personally worked with bead crochet, but I've read lots of articles about it. You can google "bead crochet" or "crocheting with beads", and come up with lots of information about it! I think it's beautiful, and I don't see why you couldn't use pearls instead of beads! :yes Good luck! Let us see what your finished projects look like!!:hook

Collette

Thanx for the answer. I googled on bead crochet, but I also would want to use yarn in the crochet. So both yarn and pearls :) not only pearls. Is it impossible?

I would think it depends on the size hole in the pearl. The hole has to be big enough for the yarn to slide through. You may try a large beading needle and the yarn with the pearl.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Like Linda said, the hole in the pearl would have to be big enough for the yarn to fit through. When crocheting with beads, you string the beads onto your yarn before you begin crocheting. Then you simply crochet them into your piece when you need them. At least, that's what I've done when I've used beads in my work.

When you add beads to crochet, you string all the beads on first, then slide them up when needed. You could get crochet thread (bedspread cotton?) the same color as the yarn and string the pearls on it. Then work with the 2 held together, adding the pearls same as you would beads. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

When you add beads to crochet, you string all the beads on the first, then slide them up when needed. You could get crochet thread (bedspread cotton?) the same color as the yarn and string the pearls on it. Then work with the 2 held together, adding the pearls same as you would beads. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

That's an awesome idea!

I have used freshwater pearls to make jewelry, and often find the holes in them are even smaller than in other kinds of beads. You might, however, find inexpensive fake pearls, in a dollar store, Big Lots, or WAlmart, that have holes big enough to get yarn through. I bought some awhile back with the idea of making pearl centers for crocheted flowers on scarves and afghans, but still haven't tried it.

When you add beads to crochet, you string all the beads on the first, then slide them up when needed. You could get crochet thread (bedspread cotton?) the same color as the yarn and string the pearls on it. Then work with the 2 held together, adding the pearls same as you would beads. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

What a great idea!

Ellie 13

I recently bought a vintage doily book at a rummage sale that had the same suggestion - except instead of stringing the beads on crochet cotton [since you're already using that for the primary fiber] to use sewing thread for the bead. If your project is yarn not doily thread, it might be easier to find matching sewing thread.

A recent crochet magazine had a yarn pattern where you strung sequins on sewing thread worked the same way - another idea for some yarn bling.

Archived