Helping Survivors, Let's Start Now

zeropixie

I was doing some birthday and christmas shopping the other day and realized that even thought my budget is tight I have no right to be selfish, my daughter has plenty of stuffed animals,toys and clothes to spare. I got to thinking about all of the children that will be going with out gifts this birthday and christmas.

We can start now. Hats, Afghans and other small items will be needed. Small toys for children would be great. I know that way to many of us need to destash :blush so we could all send at least one item. Next month I will be contacting my local Red Cross for the information on were to send things, right now things are so chaotic they don't have any idea.

I know this sound strange considering that rescues are still taking place but it is better to start now before we get busy with our own holidays. If anyone has helped with any kind of disaster and could add some advice it would be great.

We all know the feeling of contentment:yay we feel when our children are happy over something simple like a hat or a small toy, lets help another parent feel that again. Again if anyone can help put this together I would be greatful.

Like I mentioned in the other post, I'm up for this. I am good at making scarves... do you guys think this is something that might be needed in the winter? I might also be able to make small blankies for kids but I've never done that before. I'm a slow crocheter so I'll need time.

I agree, this is a very good idea! Although there is sure to be an enormous need for donated items, I heard on the news that nothing will be accepted except for cash at this time...I'm sure if we are patient our crocheted items will eventually make it into the hands of the people in need. However, if you are anxious to help NOW, I think Amber's post has a good alternative.

I know I am planning to give it a look. Just my 2 cents!

PS: I knew our members would be thinking of helping our "neighbors"....such a wonderful group, here! :manyheart

What a sobering topic. To think it could have been us here in S. FL.:eek

I have stopped the purchase of yarn for a while, so I can send the monies to the Red Cross and Humane Society to help those in the New Orleans/Gulf Coast area. They will really need our help in the next year for rebuilding purposes, or just to start their lives again where ever they decide to go.

:hug consider donating some of your "play" funds to help those in great need. Skip the monthly movie, or the weekly BBQ dinner. I have decided to use my yarn/craft funds

Some folks have mentioned helping those in Florida, but in the grand scheme of things, the 250 homes that may have been damaged can be handled through the state. Please direct your help to the Gulf Coast-they have lost everything!!:(

I heard on the news that nothing will be accepted except for cash at this time

While the Red Cross may be accepting nothing but cash, there are plenty of other organizations that are accepting donations of clothing, blankets, personal hygiene items, etc.

(psst. There is a place to do your Christmas and birthday shopping while helping the victims of the hurricane. www.craftrevolution.com.etsy.com has stuff going on 24 hours a day. Everything is donated and everything but the shipping costs go to the Red Cross. I've got some stuff ready to go on there as well. )

Amber

:eek Some of the stuff on that site is, um, well ... :eek interesting. Let's just say interesting. I had to close the browser window because my son was reading over my shoulder. I recommend you be cautious about it, because it does have some adult-oriented items there.

":eek Some of the stuff on that site is, um, well ... :eek interesting. Let's just say interesting. I had to close the browser window because my son was reading over my shoulder. I recommend you be cautious about it, because it does have some adult-oriented items there.

__________________"

What are you talking about!!???!! Please let me know. PM me if you want. They keep adding things like crazy and things are sold like crazy so I haven't seen everything. That's the last thing I want to happen. :(

Amber

Archived