Is it worth it?

MalisaMeesa

I think I need the help of my brand new Buddies. I have found a woman in my home town that is selling A GINORMOUS Bag of Hand dyed all organic wool yarn. the bad is a 50 gallon trash bag that has at least 20 skeins of this type of yarn in it. I've never used this type of yarn before so I don't know if I will like working with it (whether its hard to work or not). She's asking for $45 dollars

IS IT WORTH IT?

This is a terrific deal! Hand-dyed, organic wool yarn!

Just to compare: yesterday I went to the Oakland Fiber & Textile Festival. I bought some marked-down hand-dyed, hand-spun wool (Romney/Corriedale) yarn. It was marked down b/c the spinner/dyer had had it on hand "too long" and was just tired of the colors not selling.

I was happy to oblige her, at least for a few of the skeins!

Original price:

(80% wool, 15% mohair, 5% misc) 2.7 oz = $16.20 for one skein

(100% wool) 2.1 oz = $10.50 for the other

They both feel absolutely wonderful to my hand.

DCM

I think I need the help of my brand new Buddies. I have found a woman in my home town that is selling A GINORMOUS Bag of Hand dyed all organic wool yarn. the bad is a 50 gallon trash bag that has at least 20 skeins of this type of yarn in it. I've never used this type of yarn before so I don't know if I will like working with it (whether its hard to work or not). She's asking for $45 dollars

IS IT WORTH IT?

Do you know how much each skein weighs? Or how much the entire kit-n-kaboodle weighs?

20 skeins for $45 is only $2.25 per skein... you pay more than that for Red Heart Super Saver... (unless you were saying $45 per skein...)

I've never worked with wool/purchased wool/priced wool so I knew how much it would be... but to me, that looks like a really good price. And if you don't like working with it, you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it...

I hope somebody else has more info to give you!! Good luck!!

Do you know how much each skein weighs? Or how much the entire kit-n-kaboodle weighs?

20 skeins for $45 is only $2.25 per skein... you pay more than that for Red Heart Super Saver... (unless you were saying $45 per skein...)

I've never worked with wool/purchased wool/priced wool so I knew how much it would be... but to me, that looks like a really good price. And if you don't like working with it, you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it...

I hope somebody else has more info to give you!! Good luck!!

45 for the whole bag and I think she said the whole bag weighed 30 ibs or so

Definitely worth it, and if you don't feel you can spare the cash, you can probably re-sell just part of it and recoup your costs. I'd seal the deal and be happy if it were me!

I would cop a feel first to make sure it's something your little hands could work with some wools can be hard/ and icky ...then try to dicker a little with the price lol then grab it and run if even for felting projects..I too am allergic to wool but there is a few types out there that seem to have less itch factor like some unfortunately expensive merino's..how come I don't find these deals ? post a pix for us if you get it

Don't even mess with the price; the price is so good, it makes me feel like the woman is *almost* just looking to free up some space in her home but doesn't want to feel terrible about giving the yarn away for nothing.

DCM

Archived