Tax on yarn in CT

Say, is anyone going to be inclined to buy less yarn, now that CT is taxing it?

I confess that it's not going to affect me at all - yarn addict that I am! :lol :lol :lol

Say, is anyone going to be inclined to buy less yarn, now that CT is taxing it?

I confess that it's not going to affect me at all - yarn addict that I am! :lol :lol :lol

I seriously doubt it. I have been taxed for it in KY and IN. To actually not get taxed would be like a SALE!!!!!:yes

is this some special tax or just sales tax? We have one of the higher tax rates in the country here in Washington, but we don't have state sales tax..yet

Certainly doesn't stop me :rofl

Yarn used to be taxed in MA years ago. But if said you were making a sweater or clothes, there was no tax. Now there isn't any tax on yarn but there is on hooks.

Yarn used to be taxed in MA years ago. But if said you were making a sweater or clothes, there was no tax. Now there isn't any tax on yarn but there is on hooks.

Same here, no tax on essentials (like clothes) so yarn used to make clothing isn't taxed. I just forget to tell the cashier so wind up paying tax anyway. Guess I would by the yarn either way if I lived in CT.:D:hook

I am on Long Island NY and our tax rate is 8.625% and that includes yarn.

It is a combination of NY State tax and Nassau County tax. We are also one of the highest taxed areas around.

LI Roe

Oh. If you'd like to play the "my sales tax is higher than yours" game, mine was 10.25% until July 1. Now it's "only" 9.25%; the State of California reduced its take by 1 percentage point for the year beginning July 1, 2011. Not sure whether that's a good move overall, though; the schools, public safety forces, and many other essential government services are very rocky already.

But the sales tax on yarn and other non-foods in the City of El Cerrito is 9.25% for now.

DCM

Oh. If you'd like to play the "my sales tax is higher than yours" game, mine was 10.25% until July 1. Now it's "only" 9.25%; the State of California reduced its take by 1 percentage point for the year beginning July 1, 2011. Not sure whether that's a good move overall, though; the schools, public safety forces, and many other essential government services are very rocky already.

But the sales tax on yarn and other non-foods in the City of El Cerrito is 9.25% for now.

DCM

You win! what a yucky thing to win at :lol There are places in WA that are at 9.8%

I am on Long Island NY and our tax rate is 8.625% and that includes yarn.

It is a combination of NY State tax and Nassau County tax. We are also one of the highest taxed areas around.

LI Roe

I am ex Long Islander, moved to PA when retired. LI was getting too expensive for retirement. Is Lilco still a killer for utilities?

I am ex Long Islander, moved to PA when retired. LI was getting too expensive for retirement. Is Lilco still a killer for utilities?

No, LILCO has been gone for years, now we have LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) and I think they are worse than LILCO. When my husband was alive (died in 1999) he said just wait, LIPA is going to be the same and he was right. Between their "surcharges", which to me is a rate hike and not being governed by the PSC, they can basically do what they want.

If my mom didn't have Alzheimers and there is no one else except me (younger brother died in 2007 and dad in 1986), I would move but I can't go anywhere and she is too fragile to be moved out of the wonderful facility she is in so I deal with it, also retired in 1999.

And I thought we had high taxes, didn't realize CA and WA was just as high. Guess the saying is right, nothing is guaranteed except death and taxes.

LI Roe

Archived