LaVonneK

Newspaper yarn

jKAnC1cW6zA

I was on you tube and found a video by Vicki Howell on how to make newspaper yarn with a drop spindle, you need to watch this it is so cool!

So.... whaddaya make out of newspaper yarn?

The woman in the demo has made a picture frame out of it (it's on the table right beside her). She says in the video that it's useful where texture is important.

If I made something out of newspaper yarn, though, I'd probably put a sealant on it. I don't put time into my crochet projects just so they can become papier maché if they get wet! The sealant makes them waterproof.

DCM

Hmmmmm... I wonder if my grandchildren and I could devise some of those CD spindles and make paper yarn when they come? They love to make things to take home and show everyone. Thanks so much for sharing, LaVonne!

The woman in the demo has made a picture frame out of it (it's on the table right beside her). She says in the video that it's useful where texture is important.

If I made something out of newspaper yarn, though, I'd probably put a sealant on it. I don't put time into my crochet projects just so they can become papier maché if they get wet! The sealant makes them waterproof.

DCM

Ah, okay - thank you! I guess I should have just watched the video... LOL :hug

That is amazing to see I would not believed it if I had not watch the video. Thank you for sharing this.

Vicki Howell is one crazy chick. It's interesting but I wouldn't want it in my house. Not to mention how dirty her hands must get. I don't think I've seen a single pattern she has come up with that I've ever wanted to make. Especially since she has been the spokesperson for Caron. Still I couldn't help but watch the video.

Well, you can't draft newspaper like wool. Also, given how fragile the newspaper yarn apparently is, letting the spindle hang like normal probably wouldn't work. Hence, using her thigh. Her spindle isn't really designed for it though.

The spindles commonly used by certain Native American groups, however

I've never seen someone spin a drop spindle using their thigh before.

We spindle spinners do it all the time. The spindle spins a LOT faster that way rather than just flicking the spindle. It is amazing how much yarn you can get spun this way.

Hmmm, interesting. (And for whoever commented on how dirty Vicki's hands must get, I'm sure they are washable, but you may not want to use that spindle on anything light-colored after that.) I just don't see the value of this beyond the novelty of it. Newspaper IS bio-degradable so to me this is a lot of effort to re-use something that is pretty low on the eco scale. Kudos for caring and trying though!

I bet this would be interesting tried with "plarn"..........would "hold up" a bit better too!