First Rag Rug

HopeAnn11

:U This is my first attempt at making a rag rug. I used an old bed sheet and worked it as single crochet in the round. I also used a size N hook. The preparation was the most time consuming part, cutting all the strips and attaching them. I didn't sew them together. I cut a small slit at the end of each strip and pulled one strip through the other. It worked well. Crocheting the rug took hardly any time at all. This is also my first attempt at posting a photo. I hope this works.

post-36396-135897651681_thumb.jpg

My dog Bella thinks the rug belongs to her.

post-36396-135897651693_thumb.jpg

ha, i see another one in your near future!!! What a good idea for worn sheets, too!

My grandma crocheted rugs too, and we were all sooo thrilled when for one Christmas, she gave each of we three girls one of their very own, as she was always making them, but for other people!! Wish I still had it, I have no idea where it went, I probably wore it out!

My grandmother didn't make hers, but she certainly had tons of them. She told me that her grandmother and mother would make them out of old sheets, shirts, just about anything they could get their hands on that couldn't be handed down because it was too worn. I like the idea since it's recycling. Plus, they could become heirlooms in time. The sheet I used for this one was given to my husband and I from his parents. His father passed away awhile back. He told me that when he sees it in our bedroom it will be a nice way to remember his dad.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking of making one of these! After seeing yours I will have to keep an eye out at the thrift stores for some "rags" to cut up. You did a great job and I love the colors and your "babies". :)

What a fantastic idea! My great aunt made braided rugs - I am one of the lucky few in the family to have one. Think I need to give this a try though. Yours came out great! Thanks for sharing!

I have been thinking of doing something like this with some old sheets my DH picked up at the goodwill..I don't remember what he got them for now, but it was a bag of them. He used one for whatever and the rest are sitting here.

How wide of strips?

• 1 month later...

The photo posting didn't just work.... It came out great! You have an awesome model to present your adorable rug.

Archived