I'd read about this odd thing happening before

faithpa76

but never really "got" it. My yarn feels like rope now!! I can't get over how big it (and the hook) seem to me now! My hands needed a break from the thread (I'm surprised by how tender my left index finger is) so I grabbed one of my squares for the swap and boy does it feel strange.

:lol

I haven't had the rope phenomenon happen yet :U even going from thread to double-stranded worsted but

I'm surprised by how tender my left index finger is
Would you believe I got a callus on one finger when I made nothing but doilies and snowflakes for a week or two? I think it's the spot where I'm holding the work in my right hand (I'm left-handed) and so I'd be working into a stitch and the hook would rub against that spot. It didn't hurt, but by the time I noticed that sucker it was bad enough that I practically needed to break out hubby's belt sander on it LOL

break out hubby's belt sander on it

Yeah, I've got one of those on my middle finger. I clip on it with finger nail clippers once in a while. I have tried putting Vasoline on it and letting it soak in, but the next time I get a hook in my hand, there it is again, I've just left it. :eek

I have a very hard time working with yarn since I went to thread. I loved thread so much :manyheart that I couldn't stop, then I tried to make a baby blanket for someone and felt like I was working with a spoon! :think

Yeah, I've got one of those on my middle finger. I clip on it with finger nail clippers once in a while. I have tried putting Vasoline on it and letting it soak in, but the next time I get a hook in my hand, there it is again, I've just left it. :eek

Why not use thread to solve the thread caused problem? You can crochet a tube or cap type thing out of thread that will fit over your finger like a thimble. Wear it when you crochet so the thread rubs the thimble and not your skin.

but never really "got" it. My yarn feels like rope now!!

:lol

Ha ha ha...join the club! I crochet in thread 99% of the time and so the other day when I tried out LB's Suede with a G hook it was like, well...rope!!

When I had to work with thread, I found it had to be the first project of the day, or I couldn't work on it. If I picked up my worsted weight project first, it was impossible to hold onto the thread. I'll stick to yarn, thank you.

Kathy

Yeah the back of my right hand is sore but that's my fault.

I completed a Baby Blanket for my neices soon-to-be new arrival on the same day that my yarn arrived from Hancocks for my 3 yr old great-neices blanket, so I went straight from one project into the next :D

~ Raven ~

I had this experience too. I made a crocheted choker, with black crochet thread. Then I moved on to regular yarn! It was so weird. I"ve noticed a similar effect when doing beadwork, and using the super tiny beads, then making something with the regular seed beads. Its' like working with marbles! lol

I crochet with both and really haven't noticed the size thing. I guess I switch back and forth so often that I really don't get used to the size.

As for the calluses (sp?), I play the guitar at church, so my fingers already have them. I hardly notice them anymore. The good thing is, when I'm sewing, I don't get sore fingers from pricking them with a needle.lol

• 1 month later...

A tip for the sore finger and maybe to reduce the callus too: I cut off a small piece of the sticky part of a bandage and apply it to where the crochet hook hits. I prefer the plastic type of bandage to the cloth as it protects the spot but doesn't affect the way the thread feels as I work it. I keep the rest of the bandage with my crocheting supplies so I can cut another piece at my next sitting.

Referring to the giant yarn phenomenon, I did only thread crochet for years. When I would try yarn crochet, it felt so big and awkward that I would soon give up. Then, a few years ago, I started making hats for cancer patients with a great group of ladies and the sensation quickly passed. I'm a hat making fool now.

Switching back to thread crochet now feels strange but it seems easier to me than that leap to yarn did.

Archived