A Question to those who use crocheted clothing on babies

I really would like to make some baby items, and, maybe I'm just complicating things but...

aren't the larger holes a problem with babies?

Example:

the hexagon sweater. It surely looks like a little one would get fingers caught...

I would like to hear from those who make crocheted clothing for their own babies. Pattern recommendations are appreciated.

:)

Thank you in advance.

I have the same concern, even with blankets. My sister is expecting, but I haven't been able to find a baby blanket that I love that I would be comfortable making for a new born. I have found some really basic (boring) ones, but I want to make something spectacular AND safe! :think

Normally with newborns, you wrap them in cotton receiving blankets first so it is not so bad if their crochet blankets have larger holes. As they get a little older though, I like to stick with very close stitches for their blankets too. As for clothes......I have to admit that I really did not dress my 3 sons in crochet. I never really found good "boy" patterns back then. So, not sure how much trouble they will get into with the larger weaves. Sounds like a valid concern!

When I make stuff, especially wearables for babies, I use a dense pattern with no big holes. I don't do lacy for baby because of the very concern you post.

So I do a lot of sc work.

But there are a lot of crochet stitch patterns out there that aren't just sc...that are more than suitable for baby.

I don't make things for babies that they can get their fingers and toes tangled up in. I saw a beautiful baby blanket once that I loved looking at but because it had a large 3D flower on the middle of it I thought that wouldn't be too practical because I wouldn't want to sleep or sit on a bump even it is pretty.

• 3 weeks later...

For my son, there wasn't much out there, in terms of cute baby clothes, let alone open designs. I did make him a masculine cardigan in that "up & Down" or "crumple" st when he was about 9 months. For his baptism, I had made a lacy blanket, but as others have said, he was wrapped in a receiving blanket first...the lacy outer blanket is more "for show" I guess. I had no problems with it. As he grew, he was such a wiggler, he didn't stay under blankets at all, but those were mostly solid anyway.

Babies love to grab, and they can wiggle their fingers into even small holes...but unless there's a reason that they'd get caught and tangled into that small hole, there shouldn't be a problem.

My daughter, I had fun making all sorts of pretty things for. Some were more lacy--mainly in the skirts, which didn't cause a problem. the super lacy ones, which look so adorable, are probably best on the littler ones who don't do so much reaching and grabbing, as they haven't discovered their fingers yet. :) I didn't actually make any of those at the time. Some were more solid, and still adorable. Again, I made a special lacy blanket for her baptism as well, there again, she was in a receiving blanket under that.

I think an adorable lacy-skirted dress can be very apropos for those special occasions. (or photo shoots)

The baby blanket that scares me the most is the kind with a ribbon woven around the outer edge, before the border. If that ribbon isn't securely sewn in several places, it's too easy for a baby who's grabbing, to feel that soft ribbon and pull it--essentially gathering the blanket--and form a loop big enough to cause a strangulation hazzard. It's adorable, that ribbon, but it needs to be stitched down in several places on all sides.

Hope this helps! :)

I actually use a crocheted blanket (with big holes) for my daughter at night. She is 15 months but i figure it is a light blanket and she is unlikley to put it over her face and suffocate (even though she is beyond SIDS age). She doesn't seem to have any problem with getting her fingers caught in the holes.

when I make baby blankets I mainly use the color of the yarn to make the blanket interesting. I'll do the alternating sc, dc pattern with a variegated color and then border it with white or some contrasting color, or I'll do a basket-weave pattern or something with a cable-knit.

You could try doing one in the tunisian stitch (afghan stitch). I feel it holds together better and there are no holes for little fingers to get stuck in.

I agree with this. I made one for my grandchild using tunisian. Looked great.

Archived