multi color yarn help

Ninny

Question

12 answers to this question

I mix the varigated yarns with white (two strands) and mute the colors for lapghans, or make small granny squares edged in black for a stained glass effect for pillows.

I pair matching solids with them too, and make hats, scaves, mittens... I usually have a single skein left of varigateds, and have lots of solids hanging around.

I'm making 5 different totes using the Lion Brand 8-Pocket Tote Bag pattern--and I'm using the multi colored yarns with them. I'm making the front and back and the gusset in the variegated yarn, and making the pockets a solid color that goes well with the variegated yarn I've chosen. Then a darker solid color for the straps. They're turning out quite pretty!:yes

:crocheting Collette

I use them for kids hats and mittens, for scarves, slippers -- any smaller items where

a splash of color is fun.

Jean Leinhauser

Jean's right! Anything to do with kids as they LOVE color! Hats, mittens, scarves, back packs, and also, i too use it with solids, it just sets the colors off so well they pop out at you.

Well I use it in afghans some rows of solid then a few rows of multi and I like the look. I also love using it for my prayer shawls. Espeically when I do a triangular shawl with the sideways shell. I use and I hook with the WW and do 10 rows of solid then 3 rows of multi and repeat until it's wide enough. If you want I can post a work in progress later to give you an idea of the look.

I also do a lot of this hat for a children's charity and do the main body in solid then a matching multi for the brim and then a matching scarf with the body of the carf in solid then trimmed in the multi. I have a few patterns where the stitch looks nice done all in multi for my shawls too.

Maybe get a book of stitches out and try some different ones with the multi and see what you like. Mary

I also have alternated stripes of multi color with coordinating solids for afghans. I also use multi color with a strand of solid worsted for the hats I do since I like them warmer because they go to charitable organizations. Then I do a solid scarf with the mutlicolor trim also or a mutlicolor with a solid trim to match the hat. I've even done matching little pocketbooks in mutli with solid trim or solid with multi trim, depending on how I did the hats.I've done larger granny squares, put them together and edged with solids. You can even do headbands with them too.

LI Roe

I'm not crazy about variegated yarn most of the time, but if you're making an afghan, just one round close to the border, in colors coordinating with solids, can look very pretty. I have quite a few varieds left over because I used them alternating with solids on a star quilt afghan. When making quilt-look afghans, I think the varieds can look a little like printed fabrics. Another good use for them.

Archived