2011 - 5th Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas

badrhinogillett

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the size preemie you are making them for. Bev's Country Cottage has alot of different patterns for preemie sizes. Pretty much, any sized anything you make will find a baby that needs it. The NICU cares for babies from micro-preemie to 1 year old. So... like "Field of Dreams".. make it and it shall be used!

Kathryn -- I finally have one done for you!! This has been a WIP for some time now but now that's its finished, I motivated and just started another one. I will send you at least two in a box to save on shipping rather than sending them separately.

post-10977-135897658954_thumb.jpg

The NICUs I have donated to said as small as 12" x 12" blankets for the preemies.

Does someone have a link to the round ripple pattern?

Thanks!

I use the RR from AggieMay here on the Ville. If you PM her, she'll give you the pattern.

Another thing to remember about size for preemies. Some of the preemies never come home. Larger sized blankets are needed for them to wrap them up so that their parents may hold them as they pass.

Truly, any sized blanket you make will find a home with a baby.

When I touched these wonderful afghans to take them out of the package, they were so soft that I literally let out a sigh. What beautiful work - these are truly lovely and will wrap a little one with such love.

Thank you Tracey!

post-2886-135897661459_thumb.jpg

Thank you, too, Kathryn, for all of the work you do getting the word out there about the needs of these special babies and their families! You've been getting such pretty things. I admire the talent of all of you who contribute. :c9

Haven't been working on baby blankets the past few months. But am on a roll now--got 3 finsihed. Will wait until I have more before I mail them.

Kathryn, those are beautiful. I tried making one, but can't seem to get it.

What part are you having trouble with? Once you get the hang of it, you can do it in your sleep. Let me know if I can help, or PM AggieMay - she's wonderful at helping.

Kathryn,

How many have you collected so far, and how many are you shooting for? :think

Holly, I have a running total in the 1st post... I think I"m at 71 or 72 afghans. I'm hoping to get 300. The NICU takes between 300 and 400 babies a year and I'd like to try to help everyone that comes through their doors.

Got the two blankies all packaged up and ready to take to the post office. One RH RR and a preemie RR made from some reclaimed yarn from a green thrift store sweater. I hope to get to crochet some more later this year but just wanted to make sure I got a few off to you now.

I will make a few 9 patch blankets from The Happy Yellow House.come. I will use baby softee for the blankets and some baby hats for the older babies. I'm not sure how small to make preemie hats anymore. But I will try Bev's for some of their size.

I would say I can make about 5 of the 9 patch blankets and a bunch of hats.

Archived