2011 - 5th Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas

badrhinogillett

I finally sat down to weave in the ends of the last few blankets I've finished (I always get excited about starting a new one and put off weaving in the ends.. its a bad habit) and I did a count of all the ones I have set aside for the babies... I have done 9 and I have 2 that were given to me by a friend that wanted them donated, for a total of 11 and we still have soooo much time :cheer

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great! I have a package at home from RecycleCindy that I need to photograph. It arrived a few days ago and Cindy has been very patient with me... life at my house has been very busy the last few days. I plan on getting the picture up tonight.

We have over 70 already counted and it's only June. Anyone think we can make 300? I'm going on vacation next week and I think I will pick up some fleece to edge for the car ride. I can do those very quickly and that will help bring the number up from me.

I'll be thinking of you all today. We are heading to the hospital for the NICU reunion party that they hold every year. It's a wonderful event, open to all the NICU graduates. Last year, there was a 30 year old Graduate who attended.

I look every year to see if I can see anyone with one of our ghans, but the weather is usually so good this weekend, that nobody needs to bring one. But, I"ll keep my eyes peeled!

Cindy has been VERY patient with me. These ghans arrived last week and with school ending for the kids - my husband's motorcycle weekend (where he took my camera), and my sleeping, it's taken me a while to get this picture up here.

These ghans are so lovely! The star ghan is made from a sweater that Cindy worked her magic on. So soft! These will both be loved so much by a family of a sick baby.

post-2886-135897667215_thumb.jpg

I'll be away for the next few days. We are going camping up in the Giant Redwoods. I'll be back on Saturday. Tonight, I've been cutting fleece and am about to go over it with my skip-stitch blade so I'll have something to do in the long car ride. Hope to have lots to show you when I get back.

I'm back from camping. Our camera died the first day out. Hoping to replace it this week before my DD's birthday party. If you send anything out in the next few days, I"d appreciate it if you could take the picture and post here.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm back from camping. Our camera died the first day out. Hoping to replace it this week before my DD's birthday party. If you send anything out in the next few days, I"d appreciate it if you could take the picture and post here.

Thanks!

I sent you out a package today, you should get it next week sometime.

Penny:)

Is it too late to get in on this? I'd love to help out.

Never too late Laya! Come one come all!! I take the collected afghans to the hospital the week after Thanksgiving every year - and then I start collecting for the next year. So, Jump on in!

Thank you for helping the babies!

Is there a best type yarn to use? Do they need soft? I'm thinking rhss wouldn't be soft enough.

Kathryn,

I just finished my 3rd blanket and I'm starting the 4th. Will get them all washed and ready to send out on Monday. Please pm me where to send. I also have a couple of hats that I'll include.

I have a basket full of blankets to send. BUT, I recently received Aggie May's Round Ripple pattern and have been making several of those. They go so QUICKLY!!! I made one round ripple before, not AM's pattern. But I have to admit I am loving AM's pattern!!

One day I'll send them all. :)

Before I show off Penny's lovely ghans, let me first say how much I appreciate her patience. Penny's box arrived right around the time my mother-in-law died... which happened to also be the same week my brother-in-law ended his marriage. Needless to say, I haven't had much time here on Crochetville since. She's waited very patiently for me to post pictures. Thank you Penny.

I love RR's.. that's no secret.. Penny's large one has the most lovely boarder on it. It just adds an extra special, delicate touch to it and the baby who gets it will be so blessed!

post-2886-135897678797_thumb.jpg

Archived