Let it Snow 2011 (Snowflake CAL and Share)

jrnylst

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the baseball stuff! My son loves baseball. So I plan to make him one of each of the pieces and attach them together somehow (haven't thought that far ahead yet) and make him a baseball ornament. I think I might make his name in wood-real small-and attach those to each letter...not sure, but I'll work it out.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the baseball stuff! My son loves baseball. So I plan to make him one of each of the pieces and attach them together somehow (haven't thought that far ahead yet) and make him a baseball ornament. I think I might make his name in wood-real small-and attach those to each letter...not sure, but I'll work it out.

That sounds awesome! I hope you will share photos so we can see what you are creating!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow look at all the beautiful snowflakes I can make. I have pretty much been living in the Hospital since the 2nd of October our baby came 3 months prematurely. She is doing great probably won't be home for Christmas but at least I have all kinds of patterns I can bring to the hospital to work on while she grows and we patiently wait.

Hello lovely ladies who make pretty snowflakes :)

I'm popping onto this thread because I am wanting to embark on making some snowflakes for some quick Christmas decorations for my Mum. She said, in passing, that she loves crocheted snowflakes so I thought I'd make a bunch and send them to her. I have never made them before.

So I have a couple of questions to ask:

Firstly, what is the best allround hook to use? I'm going into town tomorrow to buy the hook and thread I need (was going to get size 10 or 20 thread.... is that right?).

Secondly, any hints and tips for stiffening them. Is it only cornstarch or is there anything else I can use.

Many thanks in advance for your help ladies. Once I have my thread and hook, I'm going to use this thread to make the snowflakes I need so becoming a late member of the CAL. :)

Wow look at all the beautiful snowflakes I can make. I have pretty much been living in the Hospital since the 2nd of October our baby came 3 months prematurely. She is doing great probably won't be home for Christmas but at least I have all kinds of patterns I can bring to the hospital to work on while she grows and we patiently wait.

Wow. I'm so glad she's hanging in there, and you, too! Congrats on the new addition! I will keep you and her in my prayers, and hopefully she will be home soon!

Hello lovely ladies who make pretty snowflakes :)

I'm popping onto this thread because I am wanting to embark on making some snowflakes for some quick Christmas decorations for my Mum. She said, in passing, that she loves crocheted snowflakes so I thought I'd make a bunch and send them to her. I have never made them before.

So I have a couple of questions to ask:

Firstly, what is the best allround hook to use? I'm going into town tomorrow to buy the hook and thread I need (was going to get size 10 or 20 thread.... is that right?).

Secondly, any hints and tips for stiffening them. Is it only cornstarch or is there anything else I can use.

Many thanks in advance for your help ladies. Once I have my thread and hook, I'm going to use this thread to make the snowflakes I need so becoming a late member of the CAL. :)

Welcome, and there is no such thing as late to a snowflake party!

Any hook size 7-10 probably would suit you just fine if you are using size 10 thread. Size 8-12 for size 20 thread. One noticeable difference you will find is more color availability in the size 10, but snowflakes in smaller thread sizes are just elegant as can be. If you ever get brave some time, try size 80 thread and a size 14 hook. Talk about delicate!

I'd been using school glue and water for about 20 years and had a sad experience this summer when I accidentally picked up a bottle of all-purpose glue, new and improved, which leaves residue all over the back and edges of the flakes and will not wash out. So I've been experimenting and so far, I like starch best, the kind you iron with. I plan to try cornstarch as soon as I have more time to play; I think I will like that because you have the option of how thick you want the stuff. My grandmother used sugar and water and flour and water, and pests would eat her snowflakes during the off-season. So I will not try those. Supposedly, cornstarch (or corn flour as I hear it is called on the other side of the ocean) is supposed to be one of the best methods. I did not like hair spray at all, the clear glue is okay but also will not wash off, and some off-brand school glues perform just like the all-purpose glue, but in a plain bottle. Oh, and if you press the snowflakes with the iron, be careful not to scorch them. I ruined a couple that way on my first try. Good luck! And please let us know how you do. We love to see photos!

Welcome, and there is no such thing as late to a snowflake party!

I'd been using school glue and water for about 20 years !

I use a product called Stiffy.

It is made by a company named Plaid and I picked it up at Wal-mart it is quite a large bottle (472 ml). It has lasted for a couple of years but I don't produce snowflakes on the same level as you.:hook

Wow. I'm so glad she's hanging in there, and you, too! Congrats on the new addition! I will keep you and her in my prayers, and hopefully she will be home soon!

Thank you. She is my little hero and shows me what it means to be strong everyday.

Thankyou for all your advice. Went shopping and got my snowflake supplies. Now to wait for my baby girl to go to bed then Mummy can have crochet time. :D

Ok, so its not from any listed on this CAL but I wanted to show you my first ever snowflake. :) Chose a pretty simple one to start with and I love how it looks more complicated than it actually is. I'm going to like doing these. Now to crack on with some of the ones on here. :flake

post-54070-135897716333_thumb.jpg

I haven't been around Crochetville a whole lot in the last year. Heck, my crocheting has even slidden a bit. But the urge has been on me and there hasn't been enough time for all I want to do. With that said, I wanted to share the two snowflakes I recently completed. One even has a funny story attached. They're at my blog here.

And as a stiffening method I use plain old spray starch. I pin the snowflakes, spray them to soaking (doesn't take much), let them dry. Once they are dry I spray again. Once dry again I turn them and repeat from the back. It might be overkill, but I figure better more than less.

So many beautiful snowflakes! Some of mine are drying on the board and some are waiting for their turn. Perfect projects in my soooo busy life now :)

dedee1ca - I keep my fingers crossed for you and your Little One - I know what it means to live in a hospital watching the baby grow... :hug

Archived