Let it Snow 2011 (Snowflake CAL and Share)

jrnylst

I think Marikamum is tied up with settling in, so I'm going to start the new CAL and hopefully give her a chance to relax for at least a day. Maybe two... :)

This CAL was born about three years ago, as best I can tell, and encourages snowflake aficionados to make at least one snowflake every Monday, with the goal of 52 snowflakes by Christmas, more than enough to decorate your tree with plenty leftover to gift. Marikamum as coordinator of the project maintained a list of patterns and links each week, although participants were free to make whatever snowflake they chose and share photos and links, if applicable, or other source of pattern. Maintaining a weekly list can be overwhelming for anyone, so last year the project evolved into a Crochet-A-Long, and I think we can continue that this year. I'll post a new snowflake pattern each week I'm able, and all participants are welcome and encouraged to post their own patterns and/or pictures throughout the year to keep us all enthused and motivated.

Throughout the years, participants have asked if they must stiffen flakes, if they can use yarn instead of thread and how to do specific stitches and/or patterns. You may make your snowflakes with whatever you choose. You can even make them with embroidery floss, plarn or ribbon! Stiffen them if you like, and don't if that's not your cup of tea. Feel free to ask questions here any time, and someone is sure to try to help. We have a wonderful and supportive group, and hopefully it will continue to grow, and we can cover the world with a blanket of snow that doesn't cause frost bite!

Happy 2011! And let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Here is the best list of free snowflake links I know of.

Here is the list of 2008 snowflakes.

Here is the list of 2009 snowflakes.

Here is the thread for the 2010 CAL.

Snowflake Books or Leaflets

99 Snowflakes

More Snowflakes to Crochet by Mary Thomas

Our Best Christmas Thread Crochet has 12 snowflake patterns out of 42 projects. Copyright 1997.

White Christmas in Thread Crochet 25 snowflake patterns. Copyright 2001.

American School of Needlework's 101 snowflakes by Delsie Rhoades and Kathy Wesley

Crocheted Snowflakes and Angels by Wilma Stash. Leisure arts leaflet 255.

Big book of Thread Ornaments by Leisure Arts. Copyright 2009.

(Special thanks to Marikamum and Apak for compiling the above list!)

Other snowflake-related links:

Stiffening Snowflakes

Blocking Snowflakes

Snowflake Blocking Diagram

(Very special thanks to Noël V. Nevins for providing such timeless information for free for more than a decade now! Noël, if you ever read this, I would sure love to meet you one day!)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the list of books and leaflets you can add "Big book of Thread Ornaments" - by Leisure Arts 2009. There are 24 snowflakes patterns.

The truth is that if I make 52 snowflakes a year, it will be DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! :rofl Even now my friends keep asking me for more snowflakes :lol and I know I will need a lot of these snowy stars before Christmas again. So I will be making them all year long, maybe as a break between the other projects...

Thank you for the first pattern this year, jrnylst!

i am doing the same thing in another crochet group, jan through nov and then end of november a partner will be assigned and all the snowflakes you have made through the year get sent to your partner.

Oh I love this CAL!

But before I join, I need to know if snowflakes are hard? Is crocheting with thread hard?

I'm currently working on afghans & scarves but don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Thanks for the help!

Merri, I a]have a hard time with the tiny hooks you use with size 10 thread, so I use size 3 with a C hook. My snowflakes are a little larger, but at least I can make them. The smaller hooks make my hands cramp badly.

Many snowflake patterns are quite easy,often they look a lot more complex than they are. Start with a smaller flake and go on from there.

Thanks Cindy! I just watched some youtube tutorials and it looks really easy. Only hang up would be crocheting with thread & hooks that small. With practice it should be fine.

I'm game!!! :cheer

Oh I love this CAL!

But before I join, I need to know if snowflakes are hard? Is crocheting with thread hard?

I'm currently working on afghans & scarves but don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Thanks for the help!

snowflakes do not have to be made with thread they can also be made with fine yarn, either way they are very quick and easy to make and when you get the hang of them you will soon be flying through them and then you could try the more complicated patterns like a 3d snowflake.

i have made one normal snowflake very easy pattern

http://snowcatcher.blogspot.com/2010/04/snowflake-monday_26.html

and i am almost done with a 3d wild rose snowflake and then i will be making the Mount Sopris snowflake

Socduncan, I keep my fingers crossed for your first (and next) snowflakes! They are really quite easy, you just have to get used to thread and a smaller hook. I can't help with thread brand but eveything that you feel comfortable with - will be fine.

Jrnylst - your new pattern looks just amazing!

Welcome, Unicorn37757, Debsydo and Socduncan! We hope you will share photos of your projects!

thanks for the welcome. i will not be stiffening my flakes till i have them all made in November but i will be sure to share a photo of them all then.

Welcome, Unicorn37757, Debsydo and Socduncan! We hope you will share photos of your projects!

Thank You! And it will be your snowflakes I will be starting with...:clap

One more question before I jump in... when you open the HUGE ball of thread, do you start with the outside end? With yarn you pull from the middle but I'm thinking with thread it's the opposite. And does it stay on the ball good or will I have a mess once the plastic is removed? :think

sorry that was 2 questions...:loco

I finished my first snowflake. :flake

I'm a little slow but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it over time. They sure are small...:loco

Congratulation!!! :cheer:cheer:cheer It wasn't that difficult, was it? Your snowflake is great and if you stiffen it - will be perfect!

Archived