Choosing Cutting-Edge Color - article

http://www.crochetmagazine.com/newsletters.php?mode=article&article_id=1329&key=NL00

this little note came with my Talking Crochet newsletter today and it got me to thinking about how we are going to adapt to current economic conditions. I admit that my eyes do tend to pop when I see what is happening to yarn prices. How current are the yarn colours that you have and do you care?

So I do doll clothes and not people clothes but I still like to be current with what people are wearing when it applies to an outfit. Of course, people are going to be using whatever yarns they have to make my patterns so it is a personal choice for them. Another point for my side is that people will start looking for free patterns online to make doll clothes instead of buying them. (I just saw a doll dress selling for $20.oo :eek)

What are we doing to make do?:think

anyone?

I like your quote...from Court Jester. :D

I use the colours that make me happy (and probably already have. If I'm making a wearable, and the colour suits me, it will likely be more flattering than wearing something just because it's "in" for this season. If it's not a wearable, but something else, I still go with colours that suit my taste, or fit my decor (or the decor of the intended receiver). I also "make do" by not buying just to fill my stash, as too often, those don't get used. I have plenty of leftovers right now, that I'm using for projects for our church's knit and crochet ministry (hats, scarves, mittens, slippers, baby stuff...all handmade and donated) another way to make-do. :) I do work to make items attractive, but I don't worry too much about annual trends, maybe if I were into selling items, I'd care more :P

make sense? did I get at your question? :) (I don't buy $20 dollar doll clothes, either :D)

I have always used colors in my clothes and decor that also made me happy. I really never followed trends. I like what I like and go by that.

Because I do a lot for charity, I have tons of different colors because I like to have a variety of colors and styles for afghans, hats, scarves, etc. If something seems to be more subdued (for lack of a better word), I'll add novelty trims to jazz it up.

Every time I go into to look at yarn, I wonder how much more they will be increased.

I don't buy $20 doll clothes either, heck, I don't even want to spend $20 on clothes for me, LOL, if I can get it on sale at a better price.

During these tough economic times, we have to do what we can to save. Guess it is a throwback to past times when people had to make do.

LI Roe

This year I have been adding to my yarn stash with a lot of RHSS. I usually pick an ombre and then add the coordinating colors. When I have done some requested afghans, they didn't choose the ombres. I make charity winter hats so am using them that way. I use the RHSS due to cost. My stash is new enough that outdated color isn't a problem at this time, but most of my solids are pretty basic, rather than trendy.

Between the yarn and my threads, I have enough to keep me crocheting for a long time.

yarn and colors. Well, that is a tough one. I think, it is already decided for us, what colors are out there, so many I have found have been discontinued only to make room for the "new" colors, don't you think. If I had it my way, I would keep every color of yarn ever made, and just keep adding more colors and shades to it! And there would be a new law, that no yarn can be discontinued, ever! Im not a slave to color fashion, I use what i use, what I like, what I need, and the fact that it is quickly changing more so than in years gone by, and more up to someone else than us, just seems a fact of yarn life, after all....(picks up her tote, and slowly pushes soap box :soap back under her desk! where it belongs!):bow:ty

I for one will buy only what appeals to me and do not let the yarn and thread companies dictate my tastes and buying habits. I tend to stock up when they actually have colors I like. I have always resented the fact that we are told what we are supposed to like.

So I will continue doing what I have always done and buy what I like as I can afford to. No matter how much thread and yarn climbs I will always find someway to afford my one true addiction.

Archived