My Nephew's Motorcycle Jacket

eurolyons

Hi there. When I saw this pattern: http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=79906 I just knew I had to make it for someone...

Well what happened instead was that I decided to make the pattern into a "motorcycle" jacket for my 8 year old nephew who's father, uncles and grandfather are all motorcycle nuts...(said with great love, believe me...)

post-2629-135897593927_thumb.jpg

post-2629-135897593942_thumb.jpg

post-2629-135897593945_thumb.jpg

post-2629-135897593948_thumb.jpg

post-2629-135897593951_thumb.jpg

My nephew's birthday was the end of September, but I didn't get the jacket to him until this week (over a month later.) Well, it was not only a huge hit with him, but with his parents, my dad, his grandparents, aunt, and various other people who saw it that night and then the next day when he went to school, he strutted in like the Fonz...his teacher freaked out (in a good way) and told him that this jacket was an heirloom and when he grew out of it he was to keep it forever (awww...) and all his friends liked it and other teachers and so on. My SIL was over the moon telling me all about it and I was almost in tears I was so happy. I mean we all want people to like what we make but this was really special.

The jacket is a little big for my nephew right now, in spite of trying to use the measurements his mom gave me...which was a funny story in and of itself...she didn't have a proper sewing measuring tape (or rather, as she confessed later, she did, but my nephew is forever getting into her sewing stuff and then losing the tape...) so she used a carpenter's tape (or what my dad calls a "yo yo tape...) Just knowing that she did that to get the measurements, such as they were just makes me smile...you know, it just adds to the story...

We are not too worried about the jacket being too big though...just means he'll wear it longer (which is always a good thing with a kid you know) and my SIL did wash it and it shrunk just a little (my nephew badgered her to do it that night so he could wear it to school the next day...)

I hope you enjoy. I can see in the future though my nephew coming to me asking if I could make him a new one only bigger for him to wear...or as others said that night, "Or he'll figure out to make one himself..." He's so much like me and my dad in that he loves to make things and work with his hands...be it through crochet (another Crochet Dude in the making maybe) or building a bird house, or putting together sets of legos or whatever...he comes by it honestly...

LeAnna, that is incredible!!! What a special gift for your nephew. Coming from a family of riders, I know they'd go bananas over it, too!... Because you did such a great job on it. And thank you for also sharing your sweet story. :manyheart

LeAnna, that is incredible!!! What a special gift for your nephew. Coming from a family of riders, I know they'd go bananas over it, too!... Because you did such a great job on it. And thank you for also sharing your sweet story. :manyheart

:smile Thank you, thank you. I just love this pattern so much. When I first saw the pattern I was like, "I want to make ME one!!!!" (and that's as the original bomber pilot jacket) I really like how the motorcycle edition turned out. The yarn shop I hang out at made up the original pattern as intended and have it on display and it is just so cute it's not even funny and I have shown off my version to the ladies of the shop and they loved it just as much.

I want to make a Pinky Tuscadero version for my niece eventually (I think her motorcycle jacket was pink...) partly because I can find bigger girlie girl patches for it...

I think I'll be using this pattern a lot.

Ya know? I bet you'll have people wanting you to make one for them (if the requests haven't already started coming in)! :yay I LOVE your idea for the pink, too! :cheer

Ya know? I bet you'll have people wanting you to make one for them (if the requests haven't already started coming in)! :yay I LOVE your idea for the pink, too! :cheer
No requests yet...but we'll see...when I was at Joann's picking out the patches, there were so many really cute large ones for girls...but no really large ones for boys...and that's why I want to make a Pinky T. jacket...

It's very cute:hook and I love the story. I'm also impressed with the zipper! I would rather....well, scrub the floor, let's say:lol...than put in a zipper:P

I would so rather hand sew in a zipper than scrub a floor...:lol I'm getting to be an old hand at it...

That's adorable.

Thank you all for the compliments...much appreciated...

I am too...last time I gave him something he was like, "I'm too old for that..." (thank goodness that item wasn't something I made...) but this one...he was all over it...*whew*

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Cissy. I hate sewing pieces together with crochet and knit projects, however, regular sewing I actually like to do. :lol

I'm glad you like the jacket and the info, etc.

Thanks Dawn, he did love it...so did his parents, his sister, all the adults at the gathering that night, staff at his school, his aunt and grandmothers...his teacher told him that when he grew out of it he could never, ever, ever give it away, it was an heirloom...:lol

Archived