Gift for Florida friend?

:think I have a good friend in Florida who is getting married in Feb. I'd love to make her an afghan, but does she really need one if Florida? I've been known to use my own afghans in the summer when I'm sitting in the air conditioning - but maybe that's just me! I'm thinking maybe a round ripple that would look pretty just laying on the back of a chair or couch even it wasn't used for warmth. What do you all think? Or do you have another idea?

Well, it depends on how far South in Florida she is. I am in Central Florida and right now we are a little cool, but not cold enough for an afghan.

Now last year, we nearly froze to death. It was so cold, at times I almost had 2 afghans on.

If you make something with a sports weight or baby yarn, I am sure she will love it and be able to use it.

I hope this helps.:hook

Yeah, what Mary Jo said! :lol

I have throws all around the house. It does still get chilly here, but we just don't normally need them as long at people in the north. I got some yarn yesterday from a friend and plan on making my first really crocheted afghan with it!

:turtle:vheart

My friend in NC is freezing when it gets down to 60* in the fall. She pulls on a sweater and wool socks. I think an afghan would get good use. When you're used to warmer temperatures than us Northerners, whats warm to us is chilly to them. I like the ripple idea because like you said it looks nice on the back of a couch when not being used.

This:

I've been known to use my own afghans in the summer when I'm sitting in the air conditioning

And this:

My friend in NC is freezing when it gets down to 60* in the fall.

I will curl up under an afghan all year long. I take small blankets or a shawl/jacket with me to the movies.

My sister on the other hand loves it cold.

So how well do you know your friend?

I live in FL and I am thinking of making myself an afghan sometime next year. as someone said a lightweight one would be nice. I am thinking of getting several skeins of the Pound of Love from Lion brand and making up a version of their baby blanket, But using a bigger hook so its a bit more open

Thanks, everyone! You make excellent points! I personally get chilled pretty easily for a 'northerner' (my friend in Chicago would chuckle to hear me call myself that, but hey - its all relative, right? ;>) but still LOVE cold weather that lets me bundle up in blankies. My friend lives near Orlando but grew up in Wisconsin, so she was used to the cold at one time, but I believe she now bundles up in temps I would think of as pleasently cool. I know she'd love anything I made for her, but I'd still hate for it to be unpractical.

Sounds like I'll be safe with my round ripple idea in a lightweight yarn. Yea! Now for the fun part - picking out yarn!! :c9

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you posted!:crocheting

• 2 weeks later...

Archived