Washing?

I wasn't exactly sure of where this should go...

I really want to start selling my amigurumi that I've been working on. My problem is that I have a dog and he sheds. I would like to wash my amigurumi before putting them on the market because I get dog hairs in some of the stitches. I don't want to just put the doll into the washing machine because I don't want the stitches to come undone and I don't want to just put it under the tap, afraid of ruining it because of the stuffing. Help!?

Hm. I would think something like dry cleaning would get expensive...Though I got a suggestion from my Gram today to put them in a pillow case...

If you are going to sell these items, do you have a designated place, or somewhere that you can designate to crocheting and storing your yarn where the dog is not allowed? I have a dog too, but if I am making a gift I usually change my shirt and crochet where my dog is not allowed. That might sound silly to some people though I guess. LOL Just put in the description of the item that your items are made in a dog friendly home, just in case someone has a severe allergy. :)

How bout a lint roller, would that pull it off, works well on surfaces. I too have pets, but they don't get in the craft room, unless they rush in for a second, while Im opening the door! I have also rolled up packing tape, around my hand, sticky side up, when the lint roller is out, and given the item a once over too, before I send it out, it works very well, it was handy, (right there in my craft desk)

I have washed items as well, in a small meshy bag, filled the washer, let stand for a few minutes, and then agitate a few,( with low amount detergent) and cut the cycle very short on the spin thing, same for the rinse, and that has worked, if you don't trust machine drying it, you can air dry, and then shape a bit while damp to regain the original shape.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. There is no room in my house where the dog is not allowed. I'll definitely put a warning when I make them that the items were made around a dog or something like that. Thanks again for the help!

you can use a damp cloth to take off surface hair but its the hair that gets crocheted into the fibers that would be a concern. I would create a pet free area if you want to sell....this is your job, ....would you take your pet to work? if you are serious about selling you have to think professional.....keep records, take pictures, keep an inventory

I have a cat that seems to love to decorate everything I make with some fur, even when she is not around. I have found that tape, like duct tape, is the best way to remove the fur. It seems to work a lot better than washing. I just gently dab it around my finished project.

There isn't a place in my house that my kitty isn't allowed either. I usually get something to put over me when I make a project. I have used thin books and plastic bags. Sounds crazy but it helps. I also point out when I sell something that it is made in a cat-friendly home.

Archived