Any tips on thread crochet?

happyladybug

Hi everyone - I tried a thread-crochet doily a few months ago, but found it incredibly difficult. I had to move up to a much bigger size of hook just to be able to manage the thread. I felt pretty clueless. :(

Does anyone have tips on how to manage the teeny tiny steel hooks and how to actually produce a nice thread crochet doily?

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

:think

Hilarie

Sounds as if you had your tension just a tad to tight. Hold your thread lightly, It's your friend not your enemy. Don't get worried about the fact that you are working with thread, try thinking of it as skinny yarn.

Use the size hook that lets you work a stitch with out forcing it. I normally use a hook two sizes larger than what a pattern calls for, as I tend to work tight. Just relax pick something simple and crochet, You know how. Once you feel comfortable with thread then try your doily. It shouldn't take you long to get there.

I would say don't be so tense, it's the same as any crochet in a much smaller scale. I find for a doily unless you want it to be exactly the size in the pattern you can use a larger hook and it won't make any difference. It's almost like using baby yarn :think

When I first started crocheting I used the 1.75 crochet hook, then gradually went down to 1.5 and now I'm on 1.00.

When I switch projects through the evening (I get tired of doing the same thing), I also notice that going from a 4.50 to a 1.00, seems difficult, but I take my time and before I know it (after about 45 minutes), I don't even realize that the hook is 1.00. I don't focus on how small the needle is or the thread, I just make myself think it's just a skinny yarn and small needle...like what Katchkan stated below.

It's called "patients", my dear....which I didn't have when I was younger, and now, I take one stitch at a time, and love it....lol.

Mary

I too started with thread (#10 and #6 hook, it may have been a #7 hook). Then I went to the smaller #20 and #30 thread and hooks up to #14. From there I went to the sport weight yarns and larger hooks. It felt like I was holding a log in my hand because of the size. Be patient and just go slow and easy.

When I work with thread, I usually double-wrap the thread around my pinky finger. Seems to keep my other hand relaxed enough to make stitches because the thread is held firmly,

• 3 months later...
Guest Crafterlady46

When I started I used a size 14 and 16 sized hooks with size 10 southmaid thread. I can tell you this, it's not easy but the results are almost perfect when you go to a bigger hook. It takes extreme hard work but your tension will be that much better later. I still do this sometimes to retrain myself. I think my flowers speak for themselves. When I taught years ago it worked for my students as well. I am not an expert, I do what works. Try all of the different ways and find what works for you. You know, I still use southmaid for my flowers. My everyday hook is a size 11. I don't use a different size...even if the pattern calls for a different size. Half of my hooks are size 11. ;):hook

OH and if you do use the small hooks you might tape your finger with electrical tape. I have some nasty scars from the hook.

Archived