When the yarn won't do what you want

Ever decided to make something, picked the perfect yarn from your stash...and just couldn't make the yarn behave? Ever frogged something 6 times before deciding to try something else?

I wanted a scarf, hat and fingerless gloves. The yarn insists on becoming a shawl, so I'm making a shawl.

yeah, I had a caron pounder that I wanted to make into a shawl, but it just didn't want to cooperate. so it sat in my stash for a couple of years. When I was looking for some yarn to knit a simple baby blanket, out it jumped, and it's doing just fine now!

sometimes I think yarn and thread whisper. Other times they won't co-operate when they want to be something other than what you want to make. :P Sometimes they almost jump out of your bin/closet/bag, shouting "me! ME! Pick Me!" :sofunny

You're definitely not the only one :)

That's when you put it down and walk away.

I usually find that when I can't make the yarn work it's something inside of me (not the yarn) that doesn't want to do it. Look inside yourself and see why it won't work.

Many times. The most recent was with a ball of Dark Horse Yarns Spring I bought to design a scarf. I frogged it several times before accepting it just wasn't going to happen. It's on its way to becoming an earwarmer now (another of my favorite things to make) and is working up much better. Must have been its destiny, lol.

yes, here too! I had some lovely silk that I chose for the perfect shawl pattern, worked about 8 rows, and the pattern wasn't right....frogged it, started over, and checked each row......(must be a mistake in the pattern!) *sigh* frogged and rewound the yarn. Went to bed, (after having a consoling glass of wine). Next day, I picked up a different color, and played with the pattern to see if I could figure out what went wrong......It was perfect! That shawl did NOT want to be made in that yarn!

I KNOW!!!! yeah, me too!

Archived