Question about thread

Clarencepcanine

What's the difference between the DMC mercerized cotton in a ball and the DMC in the skein (I think it's called Baroque) that says it's super mercerized?:think They're both white #10 thread. What does mercerized mean, anyway?

Thanks,

SarahC

You will find the Baroque is just a titch larger than the DMC on the balls. The skeins were DMC's efforts to compete price-wise with the other companies. I like the Baroque for teaching thread, but prefer the balls for extra-nice heirloom pieces.

Susan

Actually, DMC Baroque has a matte finish to it while the DMC Cebelia is shiny. It is the Perle Cotton that has the highest amount of shine. The Perle cotton comes in sizes 12, 8, 5, and 3, but not in size 10. It costs more, too, but there is a larger color selection than in the size 10 Cebelia.

The size 8 should be thicker than the size 10 thread, but from my experience is is about the same. The size 12 should be smaller than the size 10, but again, it is only slightly less.

~ Lori

I've heard that perle cotton splits a lot--is that true? It's so tempting-looking since its got so many pretty colors.

I like Baroque, especially for projects where I'm having a hard time getting the gauge right (I'm a tight crocheter and usually have to use a hook 2 sizes bigger than what patterns call for) since it's a little thicker than size 10 usually is. But definitely not as shiny as some of the more expensive threads...

Actually, DMC Baroque has a matte finish to it while the DMC Cebelia is shiny. It is the Perle Cotton that has the highest amount of shine. The Perle cotton comes in sizes 12, 8, 5, and 3, but not in size 10. It costs more, too, but there is a larger color selection than in the size 10 Cebelia.

The size 8 should be thicker than the size 10 thread, but from my experience is is about the same. The size 12 should be smaller than the size 10, but again, it is only slightly less.

~ Lori

Wow, I'm learning a lot here:hook. Baroque always seemed thicker to me. I have made some doilies with it, but it twists a lot coming off the skein, and that bothers me.

• 2 years later...

For crocheting, using perle off the skein doesn't work, unless you roll it into a ball.

It is sold in balls online, not much selection in the stores.

I love the colors and am trying to mix it with cebelia for doilies.

I find the perle 5 to be a little too big to go with size 10 cebelia, I'm going to try size 8.

Good luck!

Melanie

As far as I know, Cebelia is top of the line. It is the only thread I use for heirloom type work. It has a beautiful luster, is strong and easy to work with...no splitting or fraying. I have used the perle cotton for garments since it is a little thicker. For novelty items (like ornaments that are going to be starched) I use any old thread like Knit Cro Sheen or Aunt Lydia's. Since it is coarser, it seems to absorb more starch and of course it is cheaper.

Mercerized refers to a process that gives the thread strength and sheen (as someone else mentioned).

My first choice of threads would have to be cebelia. I use the royale thread also, when the color choices I want I can't find in the cebelia. That and for large projects I just can't really afford the cebelia. I don't mind the baroque thread. Have used it for several projects.

Besides mercerizing you also have to be aware of the number of plys and the twist on the thread. The tighter the twist the better the thread. The more plys the better the thread. The very best thread I know of is DMC Cordonnet. It is a six ply compared to cebelias 3 ply. It has tight twist to it which helps it hold it shape well with out being stiff. But you can only get it in White or ecru. If I am going to do any Irish crochet work that it what I go for.

Pearl cotton normally has a looser twist to it and that is why some people find that it splits easier for them. For me it's not one of my favorite threads. Though I did get some on cones earlier this year that was quite nice. Seemed to have a tighter twist. But alas they discontinued it.

Did you see the date on the original post! This is an old thread! I have gotten addicted to high-quality thread, but I can agree that it would be prohibitively expensive for large projects. I don't usually make large projects (like tablecloths or bedspreads), so I tend to indulge my preference. I use Coats Aida thread. I have *never* seen this thread mentioned anywhere, by anyone, but surely it's not just a Polish product? I'm thinking it must be available elsewhere in Europe. It comes in 50g balls for about $4.50 each, and the colors available in both size 10 and 20 are great. They have smaller sizes, too, but only in white and ecru.

Besides Aida, which is actually sometimes a little stiff (depends on the dye), I love, love, love Altin Basak Maxi. It's an Egyptian cotton (Turkish brand), with a lovely sheen, and the colors are so rich it's amazing. My avatar doily up there was made with this thread. The price varies around here, but sometimes you can find it for as low as $4 for a 100g ball!

Sometimes I use perle cotton--the colors are hard to resist--and I have recently discovered another Turkish company--Oren Bayan--which also has beautiful thread. Their perle cotton has a tighter twist than usual, and comes in variegated colors! (About $1 for 5g!!!)

There is a new thread here in Poland that is Polish--Monika--and the array of colors is wonderful. It's about $5 for 100g, but the thread is just a bit thicker than what I would call size 10--like the Baroque--but not a size 5. I think it is geared more to making clothing than doilies or lace, although you can still use it for that! I made a pretty oval doily out of it recently, and it is a bit thick, but it gives the finished item a rustic feel, so I'll take that into account in future when choosing patterns for it. I'm also going to use it to make a dress for my 3yo this coming Easter.

Sorry to go on about all this thread, most of which is not available in the US, but I couldn't resist. I know you can find the Altin Basak and Oren Bayan (or Bayen) thread online, and you won't be disappointed with it if you try.

If anyone knows whether the Coats Aida is equivalent to some other name sold elsewhere, I'd be interested in knowing. It's a very high quality, tightly twisted thread, with some sheen, but not as much as the Altin Basak.

Archived