question about Copywrite?

Ok I have a question.. and i dont know a better place to ask but here. as you all are very helpfull

I have a magazine that i made a blanket out of, someone who dose not live near me (to where they could barrow my book n return it) would like to make the blanket, I have searched High and low for another copy so they can buy it themselfs.. but I cannot find any copies. as it's a very old magazine.

They asked if they could buy the book and I do not want to sell it.. but I know they realy want to make the blanket.. If i didnt want to make other items in this book i'd have said sure n sold it..

so would it be copywrite infringing to copy the pattern she wants and give it to her? so she can make it? as it's going to be a gift to her friend, I'd not be sellin it just Giving her a copy.

just asking. as i looked high and low for the pattern in other areas and im finding nothing at all. I do not want to sell my book just so she can have one pattern.. if she lived in my town i'd just loan the book but she don't so that kinda kills that idea.

beacuse this got me thinking.. when i go to the library and i find something in a book i like (like cross stich) i will take it over to their copy machine n copy what i want so I dont have to chck the book out. and they dont say "i cant do that" but i also do not want to break any rulz on any of my boards if i was to offer up the said pattern.(dont worrie no one here asked this is somewhere lse lol)

Admin Answer from AmyS: Yes, it would be copyright infringement to make a copy of the pages from the magazine and send those to her.

There are special "fair use" laws pertaining to copyright that will allow you to copy a limited number of pages from a library book for PERSONAL use (not to give to another person).

What you want to do does not fall under the guidelines of fair use.

You do have some options: if you don't want to make this particular pattern again, you can rip out the original pages and send those to your friend. You can contact the magazine publisher and request written permission to make the copy to send to your friend.

I THINK it has to do with selling vs giving? I know I copy patterns out of the book and put it in a sheet protector to take with me rather than the whole book.

Admin Note from AmyS: No, copyright law does not make a distinction in making copies to give away or to sell to others. Under "fair use," you are allowed to make a copy of pages from a book you own for your OWNpersonal use, as you are doing.

yea i kinda thought that,, If i can't find her a copy of the entire mag I plan on just copying it and Giving her the pattern.. no money involved

Admin Note from AmyS: No, I'm sorry, copyright law does not allow you to make a copy and send it your friend for free. You cannot make a copy and give it to someone else, whether for free or for sale. Crochetville's guidelines also don't allow for making copies of patterns and sending them to other Crochetville members.

You can not sell, or give away any copies of any copyrighted pattern.

You have the right to gift the original, sell the original, destroy the original. That is your's. You just don't have the right to make any copies except for personal use. ( such as copying to carry around instead of the whole book. To keep your original in original condition.etc..... ) As long as it is you who are using the copy.

Keep searching for an original book for your friend so she can have her own pattern without being in violation.

What magazine is it? I may have the original in my stash that I am getting rid of. Also, if it is old enough it may not be under the current copyright laws. So what is the date of publishing?

What magazine is it? I may have the original in my stash that I am getting rid of. Also, if it is old enough it may not be under the current copyright laws. So what is the date of publishing?

its the March 1996 (number 105) Of Crochet fantasy.

titled 96 best afghans.

**katchkan**

ty. I was not sure, I told her last night the name ect of the book, and that i'm also on the search,

hopefuly i can track down a copie for her. I dont know any other way for her to get the pattern tomake. one herself

I've always wondered why there are copiers in the library, technically you are violating copyright by using the copier at the library (in the US, unless it was written earlier than 1923 to be in the public domain). Anything between 1923 and 1978 are probably/possibly copyright protected, anything after 1978 are protected for 70 past the death of the author, or 95-120 for other circumstances.

Admin Note from AmyS: Libraries fall in a special category of "fair use" law, allowing library patrons to make copies of a limited number of pages from a library book for their own personal use. The copies cannot be made to send to another person.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Technically, no you cannot make a copy of the pattern and give the copy to your friend.

However (if you don't mind tearing up your book/magazine), you can tear out the pattern and give the pattern to your friend. And keep the remaining pages for yourself.

Just a thought.

Admin Note from AmyS: You are correct. :hug

its the March 1996 (number 105) Of Crochet fantasy.

titled 96 best afghans.

That edition is most definitely still under copyright protection, and will be for many, many decades to come.

Some incorrect information was posted earlier in this thread. I just wanted to let everyone know I've added some "Admin Edits" to some of the posts, to clarify information right in those posts, so people don't have to go searching through the thread to find it.

To summarize: it is copyright infringement to make a copy of a copyrighted pattern and send it to somebody else, whether you're doing so for free or charging for it. It's also a violation of our forum guidelines to do so.

I appreciate that everybody wants to help their friends get access to patterns that they want to make. However, we have to take great care here that we are respectful of copyright law at all times. I don't want anybody getting angry at Donna, me, or Crochetville in general and hitting us with a lawsuit for copyright infringement or contributory copyright infringement (which would be allowing and helping others to commit the infringement, even if we didn't participate directly ourselves). Thanks for understanding why we have to take such a strong stance on this issue. :)

Tanks amy.. I'm tryin to stay within the guidelines of the forum as i do love it here.

I do not wish to ruin my book and tear out the pages, as there are other afghans in it I wish to make.. as well as I have been requested by a few to make the afghan for them for upcomming baby's.. so of course i'll need my pattern (my scatter brain at times will forget a step lol). but I did inform them the name ect of the book.. and ive been looking to find them one..

thnks.

Archived