Crochet for your purse...

ttbookjunkie

Question

This may seem like a goofy question but...

How do you keep the hook from falling out of your crochet when you put it in your bag or purse to take with you? I like to take something to knit or crochet with me and whenever I take my crochet in my purse I pull it out and the hook is at the bottom of the purse and I lost a couple of stitches. Is there a trick to keeping it together?:think

Thanks for any input.

Amanda:hook

18 answers to this question

...but I stab the hook into the yarn skein.

That's what I do. Then I wrap the yarn around both ends of the hook to hold it in place. If i'm working from the skien and it's a small project then I roll the project up with the hook in the middle. Then I wrap the yarn around it.

just stick a cotton ball in each end so your small hooks don't slide through the air holes!

--SarahC

That is a good idea the toothbrush holder for your needles. I will have to try that.

Wow thanks for the tip on Lil's Knot.

To stop my stitches from unraveling I use what I call Lil's Knot.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-knot.htm

It was taught to me by a visitor to my web site and I have permission from her to use it. It was taught to HER by Lil, who also gave her permission. :-)

As to my hook, I have a small zipper on the outside of my purse and I could put my hook in there, but usually when I bring crochet with me, I use my quilted crochet bag. If I want to bring just a small project, I might put it all in a ziploc gallon size bag. I also use a crochet storage thingie. I have several. One is quilted and two are canvas, and I have a plastic container but that is bulky so I don't use it for travel.

Hope that helps. I like to have a variety of hooks with me in case I run across someone who might inquire and like to learn. (No, it's not happened yet, but I am hopeful. I HAVE taught a bit and I have talked about what I'm doing though.)

That is a good idea the toothbrush holder for your needles. I will have to try that.

A safety pin for the stitch. I have one of those tube things you put you toothbrush in when you travel for my hooks. It fits into either my purse or my tote bag wonderfully and only cost me $.50.

--SarahC

To stop my stitches from unraveling I use what I call Lil's Knot.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-knot.htm

It was taught to me by a visitor to my web site and I have permission from her to use it. It was taught to HER by Lil, who also gave her permission. :-)

As to my hook, I have a small zipper on the outside of my purse and I could put my hook in there, but usually when I bring crochet with me, I use my quilted crochet bag. If I want to bring just a small project, I might put it all in a ziploc gallon size bag. I also use a crochet storage thingie. I have several. One is quilted and two are canvas, and I have a plastic container but that is bulky so I don't use it for travel.

Hope that helps. I like to have a variety of hooks with me in case I run across someone who might inquire and like to learn. (No, it's not happened yet, but I am hopeful. I HAVE taught a bit and I have talked about what I'm doing though.)

A safety pin for the stitch. I have one of those tube things you put you toothbrush in when you travel for my hooks. It fits into either my purse or my tote bag wonderfully and only cost me $.50.

--SarahC

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the safety pin today and stuck the needle in the yarn ball and when I pulled it out no stitched were lost! I have never had a problem with the knitting falling off because I use circulars for everything and I just push the knitting all the way down the needles.

Thanks everyone for the safety pin and long loop tips.

I don't think knitting needle caps are of much use with crochet hooks...

I'm another who does the really-long-loop thing, but I stab the hook into the yarn skein. I've actually managed to lose a few hooks that way, to be found days or weeks later, swimming in the depths...:lol:

I suggested a safety pin for the crochet. Needle caps for the knitting. She mentioned she wants to carry her crochet and knitting with her in her purse. I think the safety pin is the budget solution for crochet. Craft stores charge outrageous prices for the needle caps for knitters -- sometimes I think that just because something is for "knitting" it gets outrageously priced. Since there's just one active crochet stitch, a safety pin works great.

I used to pull the yarn into a long loop but then I found some little plastic stitch holders at walmart. They almost look like earrings and they are all different colors and they work really well.

I don't think knitting needle caps are of much use with crochet hooks...

I'm another who does the really-long-loop thing, but I stab the hook into the yarn skein. I've actually managed to lose a few hooks that way, to be found days or weeks later, swimming in the depths...:lol:

This may seem like a goofy question but...

How do you keep the hook from falling out of your crochet when you put it in your bag or purse to take with you? I like to take something to knit or crochet with me and whenever I take my crochet in my purse I pull it out and the hook is at the bottom of the purse and I lost a couple of stitches. Is there a trick to keeping it together?:think

Thanks for any input.

I use a safety pin too for crochet. Just pin inside the last stitch.

You can get a stitch holder for your knitting or use a cap (buy at your local yarn store or Michael's) for your needles. If you don't have a knitting needle cap for your needles, you can use a rubber band, though it's not a good idea to do that all the time as it could damage your knitting needles.

I do the same thing...pull the working loop really long. I haven't had any problems with it coming apart, and I take my crochet back and forth to work everyday. I also "weave" the hook into my project so not to lose it...if I put it in my case, I will forget what size I was using! :think:hook

Same here. :hook

I bought some cheapie beaded wine glass markers at the dollar store to use as stitch markers since I don't have any ... I just pull out the hook, put the holder in the loop, and stick the hoop in a pocket in my tote bag or purse so I can find it again.

I do the same thing...pull the working loop really long. I haven't had any problems with it coming apart, and I take my crochet back and forth to work everyday. I also "weave" the hook into my project so not to lose it...if I put it in my case, I will forget what size I was using! :think:hook

I pull the working loop really long and so it can't really unravel from there. I try to thread the hook through the finished part of the work and hope it hangs on there. I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say, I'm always willing to learn new things :D Maria

Archived