Work is curving, please help!

ammorgan

Question

I recently started trying to teach myself to crochet. I made a single crochet square, then started trying the different stitches. When I tried to do a half double crochet square, the bottom ended up curving, so my piece looks kind of like a rainbow shape! I also tried the double crochet and it's curving too, possibly even more than the half double crochet!

What am I doing wrong? Or is the curving supposed to happen?

18 answers to this question

Your chain stitches may be too tight. Try using one or two sizes larger of a hook to do your initial chain, then switch to the smaller hook to do the stitches. Or practice making your chain stitches a looser. Don't worry - a lot of us have this problem! :blush

I can't tell you what's goin' on, but I CAN direct you to two WONDERFUL sites. I learned to crochet using a combination of these two places.

First is http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html where you will find awesome video tutorials!

Second is http://craftydaisies.com/2007/05/15/learn-to-crochet/ which actually has "learn to crochet" lessons, which explains more about crochet than just how to make the stitches.

Good Luck!

Here is a scan of what I am calling my rainbow piece. LOL. I also cannot figure out why I have that one piece of yarn going vertically up my piece from the bottom.

And I'm working in rows, haven't learned how to do rounds yet :)

post-3689-135897534056_thumb.jpg

I tend to chain to tight and use 1-2 hook sizes larger for the foundation row

If you chain 10 plus 3 that then makes the first double crochet... you should have 11 total dc when you are done with the first row

:thinkIt is not the bottom that is curving, it is the top.

You have 18 or so stitches in the SC rows but about 28 in the last row so that is why your piece is curving.

You have been increasing.

I can see some of the stitches where you have worked at least 2 into one stitch.

Concentrate on making just SCs for row after row so that you become proficient at that before you go onto any other stitch.

If you start of with just 10 SC in a row it will be much easier to keep 10 stitches in the row and you will quickly see if you are doing the start and finish of the rows incorrectly.

Remember, you do CH1 at the start of a SC row but it does not count as the first SC so you work the first SC into the first SC in the row.

When you are doing DCs you will work CH3 to stand as the first stitch then you will work the next DC into the next stitch.

HDCs are not the best stitch to try yet because they can be a little confusing at the start and finish of the row.

SCs and DCs are easier to learn first.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I am so glad Colleen counted all that. It's excellent advice to work on 10st pieces while you learn.

The other problem that I can see is that you started out with really tight tension and the last row is really loose.

An I is perfect for WW yarn. Try making your ch with a J hook. Remember the size of the loop should fit around the shaft of the hook. It you tighten it up on the throat your tension will be off.

Hi ammorgan, you got some really great advice from smart folks.

I just wanted to encourage you to keep trying, it gets easier, really, it does. Happy crocheting.

You've gotten really good advice here! I just want to encourage you to keep at it. Remember, practice makes perfect. Continue to do single crochets until your piece looks really good and you can do them in your sleep. Only then practice doubles and half-doubles. I would do the half-doubles last

I took the advice to start with a bigger hook for the chain row and then switched to my smaller hook. I also looked at each stitch to see if I had already gone into that one. My piece this time is pretty straight now :)

Looks a lot better than the first picture, still curving but not as drastic. Keep practicing.

I think I might be turning the starting chain as I'm working into it. I'm not going under both sides of the v for that first row, and I've found myself looking at the back of the chain, instead of the front! Think that could also be causing the curving?