Tell me more about this hook

Also posted this on Ravelry, but thought you all could maybe help me too. :)

My grandmother passed away almost 8 weeks ago at the age of 95 and my family has been going through the process of cleaning her house. I have been able to inherit some crochet books and magazines which I will treasure always, but I also came across this hook and wanted to know more about it. It feels like plastic but has no give if you try to bend it. I am wondering if it is maybe bone or ivory? The only marking on it says “size 3” and there is a label that says 15 cents. No matter what, I will definitely treasure it as a piece of my Nana’s crocheting history. :)

post-25359-135897532815_thumb.jpg

Patti, I have 2 hooks that are very similar to your picture, also inherited from my mother. One, size 5, has a blue tip and the other size 2, has a yellow tip and both have .15 cents printed on them. They are by Susan Bates. And as you describe, they don't have any flexibility to them like some of the older plastic I have. Hope this helps.

Beverly

Your hook looks like several that my mother had which were from her grandmother. My mom told me that they were made from bone. Strangely, they went missing from her house after she went to a nursing home. Hmmmm...never knew my brother crocheted! :devil

Hi Patti

One way to check if it is bone or ivory is it would be cold to the touch. It might also be Bakelite.

Archived