How do you store your yarn?

I store my yarn in a three drawer rolling plastic cart with clear drawers in my closet. (We moved, and I have vowed to not have more yarn that that any more in our new house.) Then, I keep my projects in zipper bags (usually 1 gallon and 2-gallon ziplock bags with the sliding plastic zipper with the pattern, hook, and small pair of scissors and pencil. See, I am trying to be more organized ...and yarn savvy...don't want to clutter our first home.

If you are looking for ideas to store yarn, but with no floor space here are some things I have done in the past (when we first married, we lived in a 550 square foot apartment built in 1928...)

--Will short plastic containers (I think 16 quarts) fit under your couch?

--Use a shoe organizer that hangs on the back of a door...look for one that takes up the entire side of a door (many can be found that hold just hold about 10 pairs of shoes, but if you are going to do it, may as well do it right...) A skein of acrylic yarn fits perfectly in a pocket, or multiple of smaller wools and cotton fit.

--stack large pretty boxes on top of each other ontop of a bookcase.

Other ideas:

--What about one of those stuffed animal holders that hang from the ceiling. My daughter has one for toys that is mesh, and has 4 tiers, each tier being about 18 inchs in diamerter by 12 inches tall. You may have to worry about dusty yarn though.

--Can you hang some shelves on the wall. (Lowes home improvement store has some for about $10.) Then, store you yarn in pretty boxes on the shelves.

--If you have a bit of floor space, try a tall, wicker laundry basket with a lid. It looks fairly stylish, but can hold quite a bit of yarn.

I am another very lucky person that has enough room to put all of my yarn on display... Hubby never even complains about it! He says " the more crafty stuff you do the more our girls will do and the less we will have to look for them"! So here is what my craft room looks like. Well the part of it with yarn any way!

[ATTACH]20818[/ATTACH]

I'd like to have at least the third part of your yarns!!!

Now I'm really jealous. I have to get my hubby on the ball to fix up our basement so I can create my own escape/craft room.....One Day:idea:scrachin:think

Since my husband died, I have his 4-ft long closet and mine. Mostly I use the 6 or 7-ft one in the spare room. Then there are the two cabinets in the bookcases in the living room, and the four tubs . . .

Hi everyone,

I just saw this thread about where to store the yarn and like the plastic container boxes. I store mine like that in my closet but since I have a small closet I have to take a box out when I need yarn. That's not all I have about four 13 gallon bags with yarn in there to.

Help!!

Y.Marie

You all have such fantastic ideas!

And so much yarn!

*hugs yarn*

:manyheart:yarn

I'm still trying to figure something out. I might try one of those shoe container things that have a bunch of pockets and hang from a door.

I am another clear plastic bin and clear rolling drawer cart person. I have a storage room downstairs and it is overflowing with stuff. I have always dreamed of a craft room of my own, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Marcia

I have 5 rubbermaid totes filled with yarn, a rolling suitcase, a regular suitcase, a backpack, a couple of baskets, and about 6 of those bags you can buy at the grocery store to use instead of plastic bags. Hubby says it's too much and I'm not allowed to buy anymore. He never said anything about giving unwanted yarn a home though so I tend to adopt yarn no one else wants.

Hugs and Cookies.

I agree with daisy...I have used the plastic bins for years. always get clear...they aren't expensive and I label them by colors. It is really hard to tell what you have if the bins are solid color or you have yarn in bags. You can get the clear ones in so many shapes and sizes and I am lucky enough to have an area in my laundry room where I can stack them. I am always on the lookout for cute bags (or large purses) in thrift shops and I put my individual projects and directions w/ hook into each bag then I can grab the one I want to work on. So, where to put these bins...maybe a laundry room or closet where you could make some space or try to add a shelf somewhere.

I bought a shoe organizer that hangs from my door.

Right now, my yarn supply is small enough to fit in it.

It's canvas. (I plan on coloring on it)

I've put all my yarn in it. I'll post a picture soon.

It might not be the best form of organization, but at the moment, I have NO room to store it on my floor. My room is pretty small and half of it is my "art studio".

dollar tree...just get some ideas....

they have this VERY large zip-loc type bags with handles that are 2 for a dollar...and they are clear

i'm all about improvisation...i am using an over the door rack with 10 hooks (5 with 2)...i hang it from the edge of the top bunk...hung the larger bags from it...

Archived