Why are my dishcloths not used for dishes ;(

:laughrollLOL! I have had both experiences. my sisters use all I send them and demand more...but the lady down the street I just made a set for has them hanging in her kitchen and her kids aren't allowed to touch them. People tend to think of them as "special" because they are handmade, rather than using them like any other other dishcloth.

I'm right there with you! I make tons for my mom and she uses them as doilies! I keep explaining that they are DISHCLOTHS! And wonder why I'm wasting my good cotton on them. :lol

:turtle:vheart

This has happened to me also. I made some for my oldest daughter in the colors in her kitchen and they are displayed. She says they are too pretty to use. Then I got the notion to make some very plain ones in off white and some in pastel camo- not any colors she is crazy about. Lo and behold, she used them for washing dishes! :laughroll

My mom always made them for me and my friends. She even made matching hanging towels (the kind you hang from your fridge or stove handle). I didn't always like the colors she picked but I still used them. I find the dishcloths you buy today are too thin. Downside of the homemade cloths is that they get "smelly" pretty quickly (my opinion) if you are not mindful of rinsing & ringing them out really well after you are done.

Now that I have taken on the craft of crochet I have yet to make one for myself..LOL I will only gift them to people I think will appreciate it and if they choose to hang it up on display I would take that as a compliment!

I made some for my SIL and she used them as hot pads :lol. She said that she likes her little sponge best for dishes. On the other hand, I made a stack of dishcloths for my daughter, when she moved out on her own, and she ACTUALLY uses hers for dishes.....and she loves them. I keep asking her if she needs any more, but she says "not yet". Those little cotton things are really sturdy for dishes and then some. Well, I use my handmade cotton dishcloths.....after all, that's what they were made for, right? :hook

My aunt uses the dishclothes I gave her, even the holey one (she was using it, so it must be okay, I prefer solid ones but must have been in a mood to try the stitch).

Anyway, she won't use the doilies I make her. :rolleyes She thinks they're too nice. Maybe. But I wouldn't mind if she uses them. I give her at least one every Christmas. Her sister uses them though. I started giving her simple ones since she didn't use them. Her sister got a few more one year;). Although my brothers like the yarn doilies (yes yarn) because they hold things in place really good. And since I'm not sure how they'll treat the thread doilies, which take me tons longer, it works perfect.

So whatever. I crochet. If they like it and use it, great. If they like it and don't use it, fine.

Debbi

I've made pot holders and spiral dish scrubbies for my mom and sister. They use the pot holders, but I'm not sure about the scrubbies. I use my pot holders in the kitchen, but I use the scrubbie in the shower :lol.

Ellie 13

Archived