auction donation question

The school our kids attend is holding their annual fundraising auction. (K-8). They want every family to donate something. So. I was considering one of my "not-so-Blue Rose doilies"...but I'm questioning myself.

Don't have the time or interest to make a 'ghan for the auction. Which is in April, so I wanted something more spring-y.

So, would you donate something like a doily to a fundraising auction or something else? I should add, they do a sort of triple-auction night. There's the live auction, a "chinese" auction, and a silent auction. The last two end just before the live auction gets going, usually.

TIA

I would donate it, but talk to someone there about the fact that it's handmade and actually worth something ~ that it's not a 5 & 10 cent item. Maybe a note should be pinned to it stating that it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to make doilies.

Momwhocrochets, I think I must agree with what McLendon1 is saying. Even though your crochet is a work of love that you will spend many hours making, It may not be appreciated.

I say this from personal experience. The last two years I have made a baby blanket and sweater set for our parish's silent auction. This past year, the set had a lot of color changes , and sold for $15. I had spent $18 on yarn (vanna's choice baby). Honestly, I told my husband, we would have been better off donating the $18 I spent on yarn, and keeping my crochet time for a different project. (personal, or to donate directly to a chairty.) I don't mean to sound jaded, but I don't want for you to be dissapointed if your project dosn't fetch a reasonable price.

I agree with Real Deal. It can be discouraging to put hours of time and effort into something and then see it sell for much less than it's worth. Have you considered buying an inexpensive frame and framing your doily? You could probably find a nice-enough one at the dollar store, and it might add that certain something to bring in a little more on the bidding.

A frame is a good idea, or get a bit of fabric and stuffing, make a pillow and sew it to the pillow top. Fancy/funky decorator pillows should bring more than a doily, and you can make one yourself with just a few $$, much less than a nice frame.

It's sad that doilies have so little value nowadays, even in the antique shops you see beautiful, intricate ones in microscopic thread going for $3-5 at most.

Thank you for the input. I figured a "plain" doily wouldn't go for much. Framing was one idea I had toyed with, without saying anything. and Doily Pillows, I've seen patterns for something like that too. I think I like the framing idea so far. Any other ideas?

Maybe I'll gift the doily, and use the time/$ I spent on it for some other donation. hmmm

• 2 weeks later...

What might be a good idea is a set of pot holders and a hot plate trivet and maybe an oven mitt. You make it of sugar and cream or peaches and cream and it might not take much longer than a doily. I know that working with thread in size 10 (like most doilies are made) take a long time. Working with a worsted weight cotton yarn takes much less time. You can also add a towel with a crocheted towel topper on it. This way it a lot of pieces to create a whole kitchen ensemble.

Thanks for the suggestion, mamarose22. I'm actually thinking now of going a totally different direction, having too many WIPs at the moment. Something like a "chocolate fix" basket (smallish) or Candy themed, or something. maybe I'll toss in something tiny and crocheted that fits the purchased stuff to add to it...

That sounds good to me. I wish I could get all that chocolaty-goodnes. Yum! Yum! What You can make as an accompaniment to the chocolate is a crocheted bowl to house them in.

Archived