I think I'm going to be a "granny" fanatic

I've only made 2 different granny squares (basic granny and this pattern) but already I think I'm going to be hooked on them.

I haven't even made anything out of grannys yet but I already have plans for 2 different afghans using individual grannys and I'm about to start working on 2 large granny square baby blankets. I especially love the basic granny because I feel like I can do it a little more mindlessly than other items I've made and I can do it with less light since you crochet into spaces instead of stitches. I also like that I can make a granny anywhere and I don't need to worry about having a large piece falling on the floor while I'm working on it. Plus I feel like I've accomplished something when I finish a granny. I am easily "sickened" with working on my large bed afghan that I am just finishing up because it felt like it would never be finished and it was just row after row and I felt like I was getting no where sometimes.

Anyways I just wanted to express my recent joy for grannys:cheer

I'm off to do my last few rows on my big afghan so I can use the leftover yarn to make grannys

I never worked in the round and it took me forever to master the basic granny, and then I couldn't join them without making it look like a kindergarten craft project gone bad.

An online friend pointed me in the direction of the flat-braid join method recently and I've been hooked since. I can't stop making them now!

Once you get 'in the groove' you don't even have to look at what you're doing with a traditional granny.

I made hubby this ghan at Mom's house sitting in the dark watching tv at night on one of our trips back home.

post-10150-135897505972_thumb.jpg

(it's been really cold in Florida this week!)

I agree with RoseRed.

Nice 'ghan RR.

I love the one big granny square afghan. You can do anything with the colors, make it look like it took forever, but it's so simple to work on.

I agree with RoseRed.

Nice 'ghan RR.

I love the one big granny square afghan. You can do anything with the colors, make it look like it took forever, but it's so simple to work on.

That's a big part of why I've fallen in love with it. I wouldn't have even tried to basic granny if it wasn't for the fact that I need to quickly do the 2 baby afghan for some friends of mine who are due within weeks of each other. I didn't want a pattern that I'd have to keep looking at b/c that would definitely take a lot of time but I didn't want to do a plain dc solid afghan. I wanted something that appeared a little more special.

I also like granny squares. I have a few multi color ones I've been working on for a few years. Most have ends to weave in. But it's really just something to use up my extra yarn and when I need stress relief.

I've also done other things in granny squares. I'm currently finishing up a pull over vest in the granny square stitch and the waist is granny squares. I did the ending on the bottom of the granny square stitch with a little variation to create a shell look.

Now the weaving in of all those ends...

Debbi

Archived