Felted Carpet Bag

dudleyspinner

I am not an expert on crochet and could use some help!!!

I am working on a crochet version now. Any one know a crochet substitute for I- cord which is knit in the round? Something for the handles. Also do you think it should be lined? The knitting is pretty firm, with no holes, but I don't know if the crochet one will be.

VERY NICE!! I would be interested in a pattern. I, IMHO, think that the knitted bag doesn't need a liner, unless you just want to use some fancy fabric to add something to the look. I don't know about crochet. You might need a liner for that.

The two bags I have felted didn't need a liner. One is a neck bag that I carry shopping and it keeps small change in quite well (the Euro penny is quite teensy too) and the other one is a handbag that I carry crochet to go and my hooks have never poked through. Both bags were done in hdc on a K or larger hook. Put through the wash several times to get a nice tight felt.

As for the strap, the neck bag strap I did in chain and sc and it came out sort of rounded after felting, not as round as I-cord, but it's not flat either. (you can see the neck bag in this section a bit farther down if you want a look at the strap. I could try to get a better pic if you like)

Any one know a crochet substitute for I- cord which is knit in the round?

i use an i-cord maker.. but if you want you can make a chain and then slip stitch back down it and it makes a fairly round "cord" when felted..

as for being firm enough with out a liner.. the things i have fleted in crochet have actually turned out firmer than the knit i have done.. i use a hdc.. for my crochet felting..

Elizabeth,

I never would have thought of that, I taught myself crochet, and was doing it wrong for years! I was doing a slip stitch insted of sc. I found out it was making only half the progress, at a spinning guild meeting, they had a good laugh at me that day!

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

http://dudleyspinner.blogspot.com/2005/08/felted-crochet-carpet-bag.html

I finished a version of the crochet carpet bag, I am not happy about the shape. I am still working on a better design. I am showing you this to let ya all know I haven't forgotten about a pattern. This is crochet with unspun roving. Funny how things don't always work out the way you expect.

I did like the way the handle turned out. That is a chain, then slip stitch down one side, then back up the other side. It works as well as an I-cord, I think.

Also the stitch is a sc into the front loop only, The fabric felted very well. I didn't like the holes that doing a sc through both loops left.

Still at it!

Ta,

Deb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the update. I'm adding my voice to those non-knitting bag enthusiasts who would love to see a crochet pattern.

~Sarah

Archived