Got My New Jimbo Hook!!!

The mail yesterday brought a little white box containing the gabon ebony hook that I won in Jimbo's auction last week! It's SO PRETTY! DH instructed me to bid as high as I had to in order to win it, since it was my Valentine's gift from him. I've never seen ebony in person, but I have to say that it is such a fascinating wood! It's not solid black, it actually has a grain to it, an it's just so pretty that I find myself sitting and staring at it! I can't wait to crochet with it!

A couple of weeks I also received a Jimbo hook in a size N that I had asked Jimbo to make just for me to use for the shawls! It's made from Pacific Yew and it's also very beautiful! I have started the February shawl and I'm loving every minute of working on it this month thanks to Jimbo! If you ever get the chance to do something nice for yourself, treat yourself to a Jimbo hook! You won't be sorry! They're so smooth to hold, it's like crocheting with an extension of your own hand instead of holding a hook! Thank you so much, Jimbo, for both my N and for the ebony K! I have a birthday coming up in April, and I'm going to tell DH that I want at least one more Jimbo hook for that! :lol After receiving the gabon ebony, I am in love with the exotic woods, and can't wait to see if you do another one in the cocobolo or flamewood in April! :hook

Elle I forgot to put in the post that you are very lucky to have a Jimbo hook to use making the beautiful shawls. Use you hook in good health and great crocheting.

:hug:hug

I treated myself to a Jimbo hook during the holidays and I just can't put it down. I just love crocheting with it.

where does one get the jimbo hooks?

You go to Jimbo's website at Jimbo's Front Porch Watch for the auctions and you will see some of the most amazing hooks you could ever hope to work with! They're so smooth, they're like buttah! And they're so nicely balanced, you don't get hand cramps on those occasions when you sit and crochet for hours on end!

Jimbo also makes something called a "chop-hook", which is a crochet hook made from a chopstick! All of the proceeds from the sale of the chop-hooks goes to benefit a charity for finding a cure for Friedrich's Ataxia, so a chop-hook is a very worthwhile purchase! For $10, you can't go wrong!

This is what I hate about online forums...I find out about things I'd otherwise never know about and proceed to want them....very badly. I've already bought several years worth of patterns from the ads on the top of the page, now I have to deal with wanting one of these hooks... :D

Elle I forgot to put in the post that you are very lucky to have a Jimbo hook to use making the beautiful shawls. Use you hook in good health and great crocheting.

:hug:hug

I treated myself to a Jimbo hook during the holidays and I just can't put it down. I just love crocheting with it.

I'm just loving working with the size N! It's so light and easy to work with, and you're absolutely right about not being able to put the hooks down! If any pattern I'm working on calls for either a H, I, N or K hook now, I automatically go for my Jimbo hooks! I don't even consider the aluminum hooks any more! I have hundreds of hooks - literally - and unless the pattern calls for other than one of those four sizes, they just sit in the zip pouch! Jimbo has done a great job of spoiling me for all other hooks! :lol

The ebony Jimbo sounds so lovely and so happy that he made you an "N" for your beautiful shawl work that you do!

Thanks, Joanne. I am SO in love with it! I can't wait to need a size K so I can use it!

Hooray for me! I found a project that calls for a size K and I've been happily sitting crocheting with my new ebony buddy for the last two hours. It's Drew's Boho bag pattern! I'm making it out of Lion Brand Suede in the Desert colorway and I'm just in heaven here sitting watching television and crocheting away! I'll post pics as soon as the bag is finished. I don't know how much more I'll get done on it this weekend, though, to be truthful, because I've got to finish up the February shawl (which, by the way, ISN'T red since I had a bit of a change of plans, you'll see eventually!).

The shawl will be going out on the 22nd, but I still want to get it finished and posted so that everyone can seen it before it goes out. I REALLY wish I didn't have to work tomorrow so I could have a "crochet day". That will come soon enough, too, because one of my desk clerks came to me today and asked if there was any way he could have an extra day before our next pay checks because he has his girlfriend's birthday coming up right on the heels of Valentine's Day, and the two events together have pretty much wiped him out. Since I am SUCH a good boss, I've arranged to take the day off on Tuesday (added to my regular days off of Wednesday and Thursday) so that he can have my shift to make some extra money. So he'll get his money, and I will get THREE DAYS IN A ROW OFF TO HANG OUT ON MY COUCH WITH MY HOOKS AND YARN! I can't wait!

Oh, and just to whet your appetites a bit, thanks to a lucky find on my part, there will be a little extra giftie going out each month with the shawls from now on. Everyone who has already received a shawl from me will get these little gifts also, they'll just be mailed to you on their own. They'll also go out on the 22nd when I send out the shawl. Anyway, that's all the news that's fit to print from South Texas. It's nothing earthshattering, but I thought they were really cute and DEFINITELY something that a fiber artist would enjoy. :hook

Elle, you deserve these hooks! Congratulations and I am happy for you!

Everyone loves Jimbo hooks. I think the one he has up for the Valentine's Day contest is just beautiful and unique.

Archived