Trebles and Double Trebles - tension with size 10 thread

TXyarnelf

Question

Last night I started on my first string doily, but ran into trouble with the dts that were required.:( I've never had any trouble making trebles using yarn, but working with size 10 thread is another story. The pattern called for four dts in a row. I just couldn't hold the thread with enough tension to make it look good. My dts were way too loose. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? I'm thinking that it may just b/c I'm haven't worked with thread enough. I finally decided that it wasn't worth the frustration tried a different, but larger, pattern with fewer ts and dts. So far, it has progressed nicely. :hook

11 answers to this question

I am pretty new to thread too. What I did to keep them tighter looking was to make sure that the thread loops stayed close to the hook instead of slipping down the shaft, and I sometimes even manually wrapped the thread over the hook instead of using the hook to grab the thread so that the wraps were tighter. Hope this helps!

With yearsssssssssssss of thread crochet, in holding the thread in my left hand, I close up my little finger and the thread is held in the bend of the finger. For me, at least, this allows me to control the tension on the thread.

I just finished a doily that had 5 dtr in a row and then joined in a cluster. When I was making them they looked too long and kind of puffed out, but after blocking, it all straightened out and looked how it should. Blocking stretches it out and you can correct some things that don't look quite right that way.

and of course.

practice makes perfect!!1

Good luck as you travel down the path of the threadie.

Thanks for your replies. I agree that with practice my trebels will look better. Last night they were looking pretty good.:yay I wasn't moving along too fast b/c I was concentrating on every stitch, every cluster. That may be the key for me - slow and steady. If the piece looks too loose after blocking then I'll worry, but I think it's going to be okay. :clap

Thanks again, ladies.

What I do to keep the tension tight enough is to wrap the thread around my index finger TWICE, always making sure that my index finger on my right hand (if you're right-handed) stays on the hook close to the top. And it is worth it to take your time, like you said, and concentrate on each stitch until you are more experienced. You can do it! :cheer

Happy to report that those trebles are getting easier the more I do. IT IS a matter of practice making perfect. Mine are looking better and better.:yay My only complaint now is how SLOW I am making while making these more perfect stitches. :(

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. :hug

A question I always ask is, did you check that it is an American pattern?

English and European patterns are slightly different.

We have, SL=Slip, DC=Double Crochet, HTR=Half Treble, TR=Treble, DTR=Double Treble, TTR=Triple Treble.:hook :hook :hook

I know if I am using an American pattern, I need to do SC=DC, DC=TR, but I am not too sure what you call all the others as I obviously have not used a pattern with anything bigger than a DC.

This may be why your stitches are long and hard to do neatly.

Try doing one time less over the hook on each stitch and see if it makes a difference. It should not make too much difference to the finished item.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen:hug :hug :hug

Guest Crafterlady46

I put the thread around my pinky and index finger with thread in the first joint on my middle finger. When I was teaching I would have my students crochet with size 10 crochet cotton and a size 16 hook. It's hard. Practice is the key.

practice is the key yes. But then again, dont try to mimic people. Hold your needle and thread so that it is comfortable to you. I tried wrapped thread around my fingers in awful positions because others told me that was how it had to be done. And, really its not. Practice yes. But hold how it is comfortable to you and you will learn how to adjust your tension adn make those dtr's and etc.

I basically let the thread run up between my thumb and index finger. I keep alittle pressure against it and it really controls my tension well.

Good Luck and dont give up:hook

Archived