Learn to Knit -Barbara Walker Afghan Book

JulieKay

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can do it Judy! I am an extremely slow knitter.

Square 31 is finished and I have started 32. (6 rows done so far) 32 introduces a few more new techniques, so it's slow going. I am pretty unco-ordinated at times, and any new techniques are very awkward for me at first.

Square 33 is the start of the cable section. I'm looking forward to learning cables.

You can do it Judy! I am an extremely slow knitter.

Square 31 is finished and I have started 32. (6 rows done so far) 32 introduces a few more new techniques, so it's slow going. I am pretty unco-ordinated at times, and any new techniques are very awkward for me at first.

Square 33 is the start of the cable section. I'm looking forward to learning cables.

I seem to be coordinated....but don't read directions well, so end up unknitting/frogging many things!:P

I think the cables are beautiful,but boy, do they look hard ! Maybe they wont be though .

Cindy do you have anyone helping you or are you just figuring it out as you go ?

Jude- I figured you stood a better chance of catching her than me, I'm too slow .

Mostly I am figuring it out as I go. My mom is an expert knitter, but she lives 300 miles away. However, I did watch her knit all the years I was growing up. Maybe a little bit of it has rubbed off on me.

My mom says cables aren't that hard. Guess I'll find out!

Cindy

You are lucky you grew up watching a knitter then.It probably helped a little ,and then you can call her to ask questions if you need to .

I havent even read how to do cables yet, but I'm assuming that's what the big safety pin-type gadgets are for ?

Like would you put part of your stitches on them and work AROUND them, or are they for necklines ?

I guess I'm getting way ahead of myself here .I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it .

Cindy

You are lucky you grew up watching a knitter then.It probably helped a little ,and then you can call her to ask questions if you need to .

I havent even read how to do cables yet, but I'm assuming that's what the big safety pin-type gadgets are for ?

Like would you put part of your stitches on them and work AROUND them, or are they for necklines ?

Yes, I think that's what they are used for. My mom gave me one of those last time I was there. The book calls for using a double pointed needle to hold your stitches though. I hope to be able to figure out how to use the safety pin like thingie though, because I am pretty clumsy. My stitches would undoubtedly fall off the DPN!

Good girl, Jude !!! Keep up the good work !

Cindy- that square is beautiful,and no wonder it gave you fits. Now THAT looks like it'd take some major concentration .

When I get to that one, I'll have to remove all the clock batteries, turn off the tv ,radio ,and go out and run all the birds out of the yard so there is NO NOISE at all or I won't be able to concentrate on it .

maybe I'll even make signs to post at both ends of our roads : ATTENTION ::::

QUIET ZONE .

NO HORNS .

NO SIRENS .

NO KIDS' BIKE BELLS .

NO ICE CREAM TRUCKS .

Oh .................Scratch the last one .

ICE CREAM TRUCKS ALLOWED .

BUT KILL THE MUSIC .

Hey Jude

Yep,we did. We watched some of his (kids)scarey movies,ate ice cream and cookies and worked on a big thick lego-block book I got him that has stickers of all the lego guys and sets they have ,and you have to put all the guys on the right sets. It was fun,until he asked for EVERY SET IN THE BOOK,which, in my calculations,means Sam will have to work until he is 117 to pay for them all .

Anyhow, we had a good time ,but sadly I had to send Cam home at bedtime. Just too tired to do an all-nighter .

Dang, I need to shape up.This is ridiculous .

But, it is always good to see Cam,no matter what.

Hey Jude

Yep,we did. We watched some of his (kids)scarey movies,ate ice cream and cookies and worked on a big thick lego-block book I got him that has stickers of all the lego guys and sets they have ,and you have to put all the guys on the right sets. It was fun,until he asked for EVERY SET IN THE BOOK,which, in my calculations,means Sam will have to work until he is 117 to pay for them all .

Anyhow, we had a good time ,but sadly I had to send Cam home at bedtime. Just too tired to do an all-nighter .

Dang, I need to shape up.This is ridiculous .

But, it is always good to see Cam,no matter what.

Absolutely...better a short visit than none:yes

Back in this THING :mdust

Where have all the KNITTERS GONE :?

Sherlock Holmes is on the case :sher

Are they buried under snow :snow

Are they BURIED :rip

Are they seeing pink elephants :elle

Did they disappear :2magic

Are they juggling too many things :juggle

The Ghost of KnitWorld Says : :ghost

If you do not pick up your knitting today and do at least one row, then I will take away your ice cream :icecream and make you eat broccoli :broccoli.

I choose ice cream .

How about YOU ????????????????

Well, I happen to like broccoli, although....ice cream is better.

Would you believe that I'm going slow, to try to let you get caught up???:devil

I am more than halfway through my next square. (32) However, I dropped a stitch and although I picked it up, I clearly didn't do it right and I have this odd lump in my square. I do not want to frog back 6 or 8 rows, which is how far that stitch got a way from me, (It takes me quite while to knit a row, and besides, unknitting is hard work, and really requires a third hand). Therefore, I have been ignoring the project. I plan to knit in it some today though.

No excuses needed guys -- my previous post was meant for ME just as much as you . I haven't picked up my knitting in days. It just sits there looking at me .

If yarn could CRY, it would .

Anyhow, I plan on at LEAST doing a little on it today, even though I am going to get some major SOMETHING done on the purse-along .

I will do both today.

My castle and 63 have to take back seat today .

Good job, Jude

I was gonna come in and ask what the problem was that was giving you trouble ?

I had to keep a piece of paper in the book for this one and cross off what row I was on so I'd remember .

Was that what was causing difficulties or something else ?

Good job, Jude

I was gonna come in and ask what the problem was that was giving you trouble ?

I had to keep a piece of paper in the book for this one and cross off what row I was on so I'd remember .

Was that what was causing difficulties or something else ?

It was the way I was bringing the yarn forward and back as I changed from K to P

Looks like a basketweave now:lol

Archived