Learn to Knit -Barbara Walker Afghan Book

JulieKay

That's a good idea, guys .

I need to be more disciplined and stick to more of a schedule, then I'd probably achieve more results .

Once the big flannelghan is done, then it may be easier, with all squares to do, some knit, some crochet ...

Talk in the morning-- think i'll shut-r-down for tonite .

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning folks

Thought I'd post in here to myself this morning just to liven it up in here. My poor knitting has gotten the back seat lately . I had the bright idea to change horses midstream ( or change colors mid-afghan) ....although I was NOWHERE near the middle.

At 4 squares down and 800000000 hours of work, it seems like midstream .

Anyhow, I have always wanted to make an afghan of blue and grey,and that's the colors I want to redo our bedroom in .I have all the stuff to DO it, I just don't have the gumption .

Sam would rather be hung by his toenails over Niagra Falls than to have to paint.

He literally HATES painting .

I LIKE painting, but just haven't really had the power to do it now for quite some time ,so the stuff all still sits in our closet .

Anyhow, since changing colors, I have redone Square 1, 4,and part of 2 . So in order to catch up, I have to get 2 completed and then do 3 over again .

I like my new colors a lot, though.They are very pretty .

Anyhow, I will now try to make myself an official SQUARE SCHEDULE .

I am currently working on 3 SQUARE PROJECTS .

So, I need to divide up my day to spend the same time frame per day on each thing ,so nothing gets left out .

I plan on catching back up on my knitted squares so I can move on to # 5 very soon .

That's MY update.... how about yours ?

OH... and by the way--- I bought my girl the same book we are working on ? She is such a whiz. Already has square 1 done,and it is BEAUTIFUL .

Never knew how to knit in her life , no one to teach her .

I taught her to crochet and she is better at it than me, now she is showing me up in knitting too .

It's ok, though . :lol

Wow, Jules...you're converting people to knitting, one person at a time!:clap:clap

I sat watching the olymics last night and got quite a bit done on square 2. I have to count the reapeats to see how close I am to binding off. When I fold it over it looks like I'm close...measuring tape and the instructionsin the book need to be looked at again. I;m very comfortable with the purl stitch now.

That's great Jude !

You should be getting close to # 2 being complete then . We'll soon be on level ground at this rate .

I am actually gonna graph me out a chart today and try to stick with it so I spend at LEAST some time each day on EACH thing .

I just have to have some form of order about things ..

I don't know, i'm not a NEAT FREAK, but I don't like stuff laying all over waiting to be done .

I also tend to feel too much pressure and being bogged down if I take on too much, but maybe since I have 3 projects,all 3 squares, then it will be easy to transition from one to another easily .

I think I'll try to leave one in the family room, one in the living room ...and one ... hmmm... I don't know .. but I need to work out a system and stick to it .

Julie, wtg on getting your daughter started on knitting. Sounds like she picks things up quickly. Your new colors sound pretty. I also have three squares to redo, since I decided to use only three colors instead of four.

I've been knitting but not much on the LTK afghan. I am bogged down on 31. It changes techniques every few stitches in each row. and I am having a terrible time keeping track of where I am. I'm trying to keep track with sticky notes at the moment.

I did finish a dishcloth last week though. It's a Songbird Dishcloth and if you look really carefully, you can see a bird on it. I should have used smaller needles to make the pattern stand out more. Its a very easy patern, suitable for beginners.

post-6189-135897506897_thumb.jpg

Wow, Cindy

That is REALLY pretty !!

THAT is supposed to be suitable for beginners ?

Then I am in the category BEFORE BEGINNERS whatever that one would be called .

How about PRE-BEGINNERS ?

Those knitted patterns with pictures on them make my knees shake .

And now I'm getting the shakes thinking about the LTK square that is giving you problems.

I'd better not think that far ahead or my ship has sunk .

Julie, that dishcloth is nothing but knit and purl. It's easier than most of the LTK squares. This one is particularly easy, because every other row is straight knit.

As for square 31, its not difficult, it's just hard for my little pea brain to keep track of the directions. Remember, that as you go along, you learn new techniques and practice them in various ways in the squares. Each new technique builds on what you already know.

Cindy-

I'm sure glad you are so much further along in the book so we will have you to lean on when we get to some of those squares . They may be easier than I think, but they look terrifying to someone who had no clue how to cast on before .

I have also never even done a crochet piece that was a graphed-type design ,where I needed to follow a pattern to make a picture,and every counted cross stitch I EVER made I messed up because my count got off track ,so the counted stuff looks scarey to me .

I might be a hillbilly ,but we did learn to count .

To TEN .

Hi, ladies!

I finished square 2 last night...will post a pic later. I need to get on my horse to hit the grocery store this AM and then get pet food. We're getting a nor'easter again tonight into tomorrow, and of course we're on the line where we might get a mix OR 6 -12 inches of snow:P

Jude

Good job on Square 2 !!!

Don't let Trigger get frostbite on the way to the store .

I need to head in that direction myself . I just keep putting it off, but need to get up and get a move on .

Tired of going out in the cold and snow .

Talk later ~

Very pretty ,Jude !

Now what are the 2 colors called that you are using ? They are very pretty . I like the lilac-type ..

It's funny, you like the darker and vivid colors and I like the lighters---they both go together well .

One is lilac (Bernat), and the other is definitely RHSS violet or something like that.

I see how our personalitites influence our color choices...:hook

Archived