Hats for boxing Day ?

dorothysgirls

I have a 8 inch bench grinder box of baby hats that need ends weaven in on them so I can't count them.... I have had to take a break from hats a friend of the family has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and I am working on a afghan for him to take to treatmens. I am gunna try to bribe tay to sount them and weave in ends!!

Way to Go BETH!!!!

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 8 inch bench grinder box of baby hats that need ends weaven in on them so I can't count them.... I have had to take a break from hats a friend of the family has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and I am working on a afghan for him to take to treatmens. I am gunna try to bribe tay to sount them and weave in ends!!

Way to Go BETH!!!!

:hug for you and your family friend.

• 2 months later...

I finally finished the afghan, and got all the hats counted. I had to deliever them ( we were going by Denver) There were 150 hats in the box and the girls all had fun counting into piles of 5 and 10 and 20. The twins do this for math help (I was trying to be sneaky)! I hope to get back to crochet now that we are home. DH's grandma passed away and we had to make a emergency trip to Michigan. How is every one else doing?

I went through a spell where I concentrated on my Christmas present afghans, then a major crochet slump. I'm out of it, now, but still concentrating on Christmas presents. I am going to start a crochet class for homeschooled children next month. I will concentrate on hats while I am there.

Got a question for ya.... I have a yarn that's a mix of wool and nylon. It's fuzzy, and quite soft. Do you think that would be appropriate for a hat for someone with a shaved head? My charity is for people undergoing brain surgery. Do you think I should avoid wool because it can be itchy?

Thanks for your input! :hug

• 1 month later...
Got a question for ya.... I have a yarn that's a mix of wool and nylon. It's fuzzy, and quite soft. Do you think that would be appropriate for a hat for someone with a shaved head? My charity is for people undergoing brain surgery. Do you think I should avoid wool because it can be itchy?

Thanks for your input! :hug

I would say as long as you put a tag on it and told the recipiant that it contains some wool it would be ok. I have a wool allergy so iI am sensitive to it. Sorry it took so long to answer.

My 10 hour a week job has turned into a 60 hour a week thing. I am so not happy, but on the positive side I have been taking yarn and working on hats for the school. We all got notes about 3 weeks ago, the school nurse saying now that it is colder if we had any extra hats or coats that no longer fit could we please donate them tothe school for the children that do not have any. So once again my goal has changed. We have 19 elementary schools in town and they all need hats. I have take 45 to the twins school already. I will post pictures of the next set. I have 12 in the basket now to be washed. It was 16* outside yesterday morning here. So I figured I would get as many to the school as fast as I could.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Today I took some more hats to a local charity. This time I stayed and helped and was able to see the people pick out hats that I made. There were two little sisters that got two of them. It was so cute to see them put them on right away. I don't think I'm going to reach my goal for this year but I feel so blessed to able to crochet after the injury I sustained in January. There's always next year for reaching my own personal goals...

Thanks! Today I took some more hats to a local charity. This time I stayed and helped and was able to see the people pick out hats that I made. There were two little sisters that got two of them. It was so cute to see them put them on right away. I don't think I'm going to reach my goal for this year but I feel so blessed to able to crochet after the injury I sustained in January. There's always next year for reaching my own personal goals...

It is so ok that you didn't reach your personal goal. Any thing we do for charity helps someone in need. It was great that you got to see the little girls pick out the hats they chose!

I finally got Taylor to weave in the ends of the hats I had done... They were all in a basket :blush inside out to make it easier. There we 41 in the basket. I washed them and took them to the school. The nurse is going to devide them between all the schools she works at! She was thrilled. It is so cold here and kids are comming to school daily with out hats or gloves. :(

I forgot to take a picture of them:blush:blush:blush:blush. Julie called and told me how badly they were needed so I just took them in.

Is any one intersted in doingthis again next year?:crocheting

Please don't forget to post you totals at the end of the month! So we can have lots of :cheer:cheer:cheer!!!

I'm in for next year, too. I still want to reach my goal for this year. HOpefully I'll get more crochet time now that the Nutcracker is over. Hats away!!!!

It would be nice to see the response of the person receiving the hats. I mail mine to another state, but I know they are needed and appreciated.

I have had several very long borring days at the hospital (one of my clients is sick) So I have been taking scrap yarn and making circles of hope... This is what 300 of them look like. My twins have had a blast counting them. One counts then the other has to. It would be way to difficult to work together!:devil

post-19553-13589760439_thumb.jpg

In the tote.

post-19553-135897604398_thumb.jpg

dumped on the couch

I have had several very long borring days at the hospital (one of my clients is sick) So I have been taking scrap yarn and making circles of hope... This is what 300 of them look like. My twins have had a blast counting them. One counts then the other has to. It would be way to difficult to work together!:devil

[ATTACH]31514[/ATTACH]

In the tote.

[ATTACH]31515[/ATTACH]

dumped on the couch

Gotta love the twins working seperately together :rofl So what do you do with circles of hope? It looks like a good way to use up the scraps.

Gotta love the twins working seperately together :rofl So what do you do with circles of hope? It looks like a good way to use up the scraps.

Twins are GREAT!

Circles are a super way to use up your scraps. There are a couple of ladies here on the ville that actually put them together for charity. I take turns sending them to each of them. It takes about 260 of hem to make a blanket if I remember corectly.

Archived