Can you figure this out?

This girl, wenat, makes absolutely beautiful scarves and shawls with the variegated yarns. I like variegated, but sometimes, the way it pools, it just looks blah!! BUT...she knits hers, but shes figured out an amazing way to get the perfect pooling effect on her items!! Check this out, I have to go play and see if it will work with crochet, do you think it will?

http://yarnfloozies.blogspot.com/2009/06/deep-end-of-pool.html

PS, theres a link to her on Ravelry, she has done many of these and you can see them in her prljects page, they're beautiful!!

This is fascinating stuff, I'm going to have to try this! Crochet uses up so much yarn that unless the colour repeats are very very long (hard to find), we would have to use less sts per colour than the knit version. But in theory it must be possible, surely?

Wow, they are some beautiful stoles she has made.

I think I understand the theory - I'm a more accomplished crocheter than knitter but the patterns she has used don't look too difficult so I might be tempted to try this one day (not that I need another project to add to my "want to do" list!!!).

TFS.

This is fascinating stuff, I'm going to have to try this! Crochet uses up so much yarn that unless the colour repeats are very very long (hard to find), we would have to use less sts per colour than the knit version. But in theory it must be possible, surely?

when i read this, i had a thought, even scared me, lol, i have a friend who has rams that she shears, spins, dyes the wool of. She will do custom dying on her website <<unplannedpeacock.com>> and her dyes are awsome. I may have to see if she would do me some w/ long dye spots at some point. (adds new idea to wim's list, ((sigh)) ).

Sandy

I think it could be done, if the yarn determines the size.

The "trial and error" method would be the one to use.

Start by making a looong foundation chain (you'll have to cut it afterwards), stop exactly where a new colour starts, and then see what happens. You could even write it down and share the pattern afterwards.

Archived