requests for Comfortghan Squares.....

nana5boys

Can anyone please explain this for me. I don't understand why people on Crochetville are always requesting for sq.s for other people?

If they want to make a Comfortghan for a person that they know, why don't they just make it themselves. Then people request specific colors.

Plus if they get the blanket, how is it going to make the person feel better?

I can understand already made blankets to donate to Neo-Natel Hospitals or to the Elderly. But requests to send someone free-sq's is I don't understand.

Someone please explain it to me. I think it's free hand outs to have to make the sq's themselves, just request for some sq's that they don't have to do.

Now this is just My Opinion Only. Sorry if someone may feel offended. I didn't intend for that, but I wonder why people here are always requesting for the sq's, if you want to comfort a person with a blanket, go out and buy the yarn or use your own stash to make the blanket. I'm sure the person wouldn't mind what color it is just as long as the person Crocheted it or even Knitted it themselves that would mean more.

jaye

I think knowing that many people took the time to make a square is more comfgorting than if 1 person did it all themselves. Also it would take longer for 1 person to make enough squares to make a whole afghan. It's a lovely thing to do and most everyone use their stash to make the squares. It doesn't cost much to send a few squares in the mail & it's a nice thing to do.

I think knowing that many people took the time to make a square is more comfgorting than if 1 person did it all themselves. Also it would take longer for 1 person to make enough squares to make a whole afghan. It's a lovely thing to do and most everyone use their stash to make the squares. It doesn't cost much to send a few squares in the mail & it's a nice thing to do.

Exactly.

I received a ghan myself, it was not a comfortghan, but a friendship ghan.

To know that all these people took time out of their busy day to make a square for me, what the best I ever felt.

THink about it. The squares come from all over the world and county. You know how busy you are, then you look and see all the different squares. Yes some ask for spacific colors, but that is because they know what this person prefers. I would rather make a square in a spacific color and know the person will use it.

With one for someone here, it shows they are not alone. My opion.:hook

I asked last year or 2 for some 12" squares for my kids. They where undergoing a lot of medical tests & we seemed to always be in San Diego at the childrens hospital. I knew I had no time to make a blanket for each of them. All the wonderful people provided squares for one huge blanket for them. I had enough left over to make a whole other blanket to make & send off to a nursing home.

What I am trying to say is my kids learned a valuable lesson. They realized you do not have to know a person to give love. They learned doing things to be nice is better then not to do at all. They leanred never to expect anything when they are giving. They do forget this a lot but then again they are kids & need reminding.

They love the blanket I could make because of all the wonderful people here. It is on the back of the couch right now & they get comfy & talk about it. They hope one day they can do something nice for someone. They never thought of being nice like that until I started getting squares in the mail for their blanket. We call it the beach blanket as we always go to the beach after going to one of their drs appt in San Diego. It smells like the beach no matter how many times we wash it & it brings a calmness to smell the ocean to my kids.

It is the golden rule though. Do onto others as you want done onto you. If some actually do what you think they might be doing then one day they will get treated that way & hopefully learn a lesson not to do it any longer.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone sees things differently. ;)

Ditto on all the above responses

IF your are a crocheter.. You know first hand how much time it takes yourself alone to make a blanket. and if Someone is in need of some comfort. after a tragic event or troubling time.. and you want to get it done asap. Then wouldnt it be logical to ask a group of people who have love in their hearts to comfort someone to help you in constructing this ghan?

If my time permits and stash permits I'd be more then honord to donate some squares.. and that is actualy my next project starting the first of the yr.. getting a huge box of squres of diffrent sizes around just for this board for when someone askes.

I am one of the askers and I only asked for specif color beacuse I know what My mom likes and how i want to consruct this blanket.. while mine is more a friendship ghan.. then comfort.. I asked beacuse my mom loves handmade things esp blankets and can apreciate the love eveyone put into it.. I want to show her that She is loved and people care.. I'm not the only one who's been thru a rough road the past 3 yrs.. My mom has too.. She lived in NY her hole life. till we moved.. We left our entire family behind. and some close friends, Her only true friend betrayed her a few yrs back.. then when they finaly made mends the friend died...

mom is alone most the time.... The only people she has is her brother. my sister and Me and my family.. and She has no friends here and I have kids of my own to care for.. and can't go see her much.. my sister works alot and is never home.. and my uncle has his own activities my mom has no intrest in that he gose off to do.. Even thou all 3 live in the same house. My mom is often home alone and the only interaction she has is the internet.. where she keeps up with my best friend and her family whom we are very close to.

but. she's disabled and unable to get out of the house unless Myself.. mysis or uncle take her. and I tought it be nice to do this for her to show her that There are people out here that care and she is not alone even thou the house is empty... regardless if they know u or not.. and when she wraps up in this blanket at night or while she's peddling round her pc.. she's not only getting a hug fromm me but from a hole community of Crochers whome Have love to give.

While reading the previous RE: that is Why I asked the question I asked.

Why the so rapidness to make a blanket?

I still think it's an easy way to get freebies of yarn. Whether you take

forever to make the blanket yourself, she or loved ones after a loss is

still gonna be the same.

How are they gonna feel more comfort & ease when they cover up with

a blanket that you totally didn't make.

And So Sorry if you may feel offended, but I'd wouldn't feel anymore

comfort knowing that someone did the majority of the work. I would

of felt better knowing that the person who was giving it took time & love into making the

blanket themselves. Rather than saying, "Oh I requested from people to send me

sq.s so I can put them all together for you."

Buttt that is just me feeling that way...There will be no need to continue this thread cause appartently everyone feels the sameway, and I feel differently.

Sorry...

jaye

You really think the reason people ask for squares is to get them free so they don't have to buy/use their own yarn :think To me it's alot like a prayer chain the more people are pulling for you the better. I honestly don't think it has a thing to do with getting freebies. I can be a big skeptic about people and their intentions. But I do believe that if someone is so desperate for a square that they'd only ask because they want a freebie then they probably really do need it. Even if it may not be for the reasons they say in their request thread.I've made a comfortghan for someone & let me tell you I made alot of the squares myself.Sewing it together takes time too so I did make it along with the help of some other really nice folks. It really has nothing at all to do with freebies or not wanting to make it yourself. If you don't get it that's ok I don't get alot of things people do :lol

While reading the previous RE: that is Why I asked the question I asked.

Why the so rapidness to make a blanket?

I still think it's an easy way to get freebies of yarn. Whether you take

forever to make the blanket yourself, she or loved ones after a loss is

still gonna be the same.

How are they gonna feel more comfort & ease when they cover up with

a blanket that you totally didn't make.

And So Sorry if you may feel offended, but I'd wouldn't feel anymore

comfort knowing that someone did the majority of the work. I would

of felt better knowing that the person who was giving it took time & love into making the

blanket themselves. Rather than saying, "Oh I requested from people to send me

sq.s so I can put them all together for you."

Buttt that is just me feeling that way...There will be no need to continue this thread cause appartently everyone feels the sameway, and I feel differently.

Sorry...

jaye

Jaye, it does seem as if you view the comfortghan request situation much differently than the majority of people who make such requests or participate in making squares for those who have made requests.

There's nothing wrong with that. We're each entitled to our own opinions.

I think all the posters in this thread have done a wonderful job at explaining why they hold a different opinion.

It's great that there is such a wide variety of requests for comfortghans, including those for specific individuals and those for group efforts. That way each Crochetville member who wants to participate should be able to find a request with which they are comfortable.

Since you've indicated you feel you've received sufficient answer to your question, I'm going to close this thread now.

Archived