Found a new way to store patterns! *** 10-17-09 Update on post 1 ***

I decided to revamp the way I store my patterns that I print out. Currently, I had been putting them in files of the type of pattern they were, and then keeping them in a four drawer filing cabinet. The plastic sheet protectors were too expensive, and notebooks heavy!

I found myself dreading going through them when I needed to find a pattern or an idea of what I wanted to make next.

I have an oversized stapler and decided to make them into book form, so I can sit and leaf through them while watching tv, or sitting on the porch, etc.

I'm totally excited about doing them like this. I finished most of them today. The staples I use are a mixture of staples for up to 30 pages, 60 pages, 90 pages and 160 pages!

yeah! :clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:c9 Now I can just store them on the shelf with my bought -- book and leaflet patterns!

Anyhow, just an idea I thought I'd pass on! I hoard patterns and can't resist printing any out I like! :hook

*** 10-17-09 update***

I got behind, again, on finishing up my patterns, but I finally finished today! Wow! I knew I had a lot of patterns, but even I was surprised!

I do hoard patterns too and I know I have way more than I'll ever use in two lifetimes, but I just like having them and looking through them, but I do like to use the big notebooks with dividers, I find it easier to leaf through them.

Thanks! I forgot to add in my post, that I give them a supporting 'book' cover on the front and back of card stock to protect the pages after running the top card stock cover through my printer to give my 'book' of patterns a title!

Please note: this is for personal use 'storage' only of patterns printed from the internet.

Ok, so now ya'll have got me started to wanting to organize my patterns, too.

I have more patterns than anyone person should be allowed to have.

I am constantly looking and searching for a new "free" pattern I might like.

I've been using notebooks, too, and now I'm interested in the "oversized stapler" that the OP is talking about.

Could you elaborate on that a bit??

This is the stapler I have: (I got it a few of years ago for 20 some odd dollars) There are more expensive ones and also less expensive ones. Just watch what size staples you can use in them.

http://www.staples.com/Swingline-Heavy-Duty-Stapler/product_386312?cmArea=SC1:CG1031:DP107:CL10702

And I have staple sizes:

1/4" - will staple up to 30 sheets

3/8" - will staple up to 60 sheets

1/2" - will staple up to 90 sheets

3/4" - will staple up to 160 sheets

I (thankfully) had always left a nice margin on the left edge of the paper so when I stapled them, it didn't staple over any writing!

As an example, I put a stack of like patterns together, like all my baby afghans, took two sheets of card stock (65 - 67 pound paper from my supply for making my own greeting cards) and put one for the front cover and one for the back cover. Before stapling, I took the front cover and ran it through my printer and put Baby Afghans Book 1 on it (I ended up having 3 for baby afghans alone, each close to 160 sheets for each one)

I thought about putting in an index page listing all the patterns by name, but I have so many patterns, and very rarely remember the name of the patterns because most of them are so vauge and alike, anyhow.

One thing that is really nice, is if I am looking for a certain pattern, I can just fan through the pages like a deck of cards and glance at the pictures!

I'm sorry, I'm rambling on, but I can't believe how nice this is turning out! All I have left to do is my wearable patterns.

I use the sheet protectors and binders for my patterns. It's easy to use and to look for patterns you want. Then you can just take out the pattern you want and when your done just put it back in.

This is the stapler I have: (I got it a few of years ago for 20 some odd dollars) There are more expensive ones and also less expensive ones. Just watch what size staples you can use in them.

http://www.staples.com/Swingline-Heavy-Duty-Stapler/product_386312?cmArea=SC1:CG1031:DP107:CL10702

And I have staple sizes:

1/4" - will staple up to 30 sheets

3/8" - will staple up to 60 sheets

1/2" - will staple up to 90 sheets

3/4" - will staple up to 160 sheets

I (thankfully) had always left a nice margin on the left edge of the paper so when I stapled them, it didn't staple over any writing!

As an example, I put a stack of like patterns together, like all my baby afghans, took two sheets of card stock (65 - 67 pound paper from my supply for making my own greeting cards) and put one for the front cover and one for the back cover. Before stapling, I took the front cover and ran it through my printer and put Baby Afghans Book 1 on it (I ended up having 3 for baby afghans alone, each close to 160 sheets for each one)

I thought about putting in an index page listing all the patterns by name, but I have so many patterns, and very rarely remember the name of the patterns because most of them are so vauge and alike, anyhow.

One thing that is really nice, is if I am looking for a certain pattern, I can just fan through the pages like a deck of cards and glance at the pictures!

I'm sorry, I'm rambling on, but I can't believe how nice this is turning out! All I have left to do is my wearable patterns.

Sounds like you're doing a really nice job.

I was going to try and copy you and do some of that,

but I think I will just stick to my notebooks for now.....I can look thru the book and remove the pattern I want that way.

But you have inspired me to try to organize mine a bit better.

Well, I got mine organized, too!

I put mine into notebooks in categories.

I didn't realize I had so many. Some were stuck here and there, and by the time I got them all together I have a large notebook and 2 smaller ones.

Enough to last 2-3 lifetimes!

So, see what you did, Autumn.....you did a good thing by starting this thread and inspired some other people to get busy and do some organizing.

Thanks!

Well, I got mine organized, too!

I put mine into notebooks in categories.

I didn't realize I had so many. Some were stuck here and there, and by the time I got them all together I have a large notebook and 2 smaller ones.

Enough to last 2-3 lifetimes!

So, see what you did, Autumn.....you did a good thing by starting this thread and inspired some other people to get busy and do some organizing.

Thanks!

:hug

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the idea! I have started a nice collection of patterns that I have printed off the Internet. I need to start organizing them before my collection gets away from me. ;)

It sounds like you're having fun! I do the filing cabinet system. I have files for everything from "crochet stitches" to "slippers/socks" to "doilies" to "shawls/stoles," etc. in alphabetical order. It works well for me. I don't use sheet protectors until I actually pull out a pattern to use it.

Now if my mags, leaflets & books were only organized.... I did start a Word document of all my mags (yrs ago), but, of course, I've bought tons of them since I've updated the file. I absolutely hate it when I know I have a pattern & can't remember exactly where it is.:P

Archived