"boy" bookmarks

vickylynne

I am looking for a bookmark pattern that has more of a boy theme. I have made footballs and snakes for boys, I also have shells, butterfly, granny squares and flowers. I am making these for a friend who is a reading teacher for the middle school. She wants to give them as Christmas presents to encourage reading. I just checked my local craft stores and they had no pattern books at this time. I am trying to make each one different and have several for girls but boys are the problem. There is only so much I can do to change a football pattern to make them different. If you have any ideas I would be very happy and jumping for joy.

I would make cars or trains (or are the boys too old for it?). Make a long chain, then dcs along and back to make the car's form. (So the length of the bookmark is the car's length), then add to circles as the wheels. I am not sure if it is clear - I can try and draw it later ;)

do a search here on the ville. for a "dragon applique". just add a longer tail on it and it's a bookmark. i've made a few of them and they are super easy.

i have also made it in red with an orange tail and glued a white crystal on it's eye. looks like the phoenix in the harry potter movies. i made one for a friend who loves harry potter and she loved it.

i havef ound that if you take a yarn fridgie pattern like the bull frog fridgie and make it in szie 10 thread they make great bookmarks..i added a red chain of around 100 and slip stitiched back up it added a tassell and some black pony beads attached it to the face it looks like the frogs tongue is flattened in the book and the black beads represent the flies he was catching. Also this skull pattern without the glowing part with a white chain and tassell make a great one for boys.

One thing to remember that i learned since coming to the ville...anything you can make in ww yarn you can make in size 10 thread to make it smaller. add a long chain and tassel and you have a pretty neat bookmark that won't break the binding of a book (the schools really appreciate this)

• 1 month later...

Maybe a Harry Potter scarf bookmark or one done in school colors: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70504AD.html

This one might also work. Nice texture:

http://thecrochetdudepatterns.blogspot.com/2005/05/ridgie-ridge-bookmark.html

This thread has been very helpful to me, too. I have a slew of feminine bookmarks, but wanted ideas to make for men and boys. Great ideas!

Thanks for all of your ideas. I have made several and am still looking for more patterns. I have also done hairpin lace bookmarks and baseballs with the bat as the string portion of the bookmark. Our local library is also selling bookmarks that I have made and the money is going to the building fund. If you have any that are made and would like to donate you can contact me and I will package them up for the library. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Archived