What would you do?

I found this real easy scarf pattern on the net. It is just beautiful, but is written horribly. If you really didn't know what you were doing, you would never figure it out. The picture shows the whole scarf, and the beginning row and the ending row are the same. There is nothing that says continue pattern row until desired length, then repeat row 1 and finish off.

She has her email address on the pattern. My question is do I email her and suggest that maybe she add those things in? The reason I want the pattern fixed is that is in a very easy pattern and I want to give the link to my students so they can print off the pattern. There are 4 of them that want an easy, lacy, pretty scarf pattern and this one fits the bill. Thanks. :hug

Oh man...I'm of two minds on this. Part of me says, "Yes, of course email her and explain the situation and make the suggestion..." but be prepared for her to either not answer you or possibly go off on you for making the suggestion that she edit her pattern (it's a good suggestion I think...)

The other part of me says, Leave the pattern as is, don't email the designer, go ahead and send to your students, but explain to them what needs to be done (i.e. "After you work Row 1, work rows x to y as many times as necessary for the length you want.") I'd use that as an opportunity of how to problem solve when working with patterns that are not always written well, or might have mistakes...

Or do both...email the designer with your suggestions and if she doesn't answer you, then do plan B with the explanation...

Over the weekend, my aunt gave me a very simple knit pattern for a scarf that basically did that whole thing of do rows 1 and 2, do pattern, finish with rows 1 and 2...nothing about working to desired length...only thing that might make me think that's what I had to do was the very fact that it was for a scarf...

yea i agree.. you could always re-write it yourself for your students sake. Give the link and actual pattern to them as well.

I'd like to look at the pattern too... could you link it? I been lookin for a shawl/scarf that is easy.. I want to teach my 8 yr old DD to crochet. n if this is easy enough I can let her try it with some scrap yarn.

but also mabey if you word your Email like this if you were to decide

I saw your pattern and i loved it.. It's perfect and simple for the novice.. only One problem i found with it is.. (and out line it) just tell her gently.. Say Im not trying to tell you how to present your pattern. i'm just trying to let you know the novice will find this hard to Understand, then thank her for her time Something like that

I would her email her and expect a not so nice reply. You might be pleasantly surprized.

I would also rewrite it so that it does make sense. I see nothing wrong with students working from your 'notes' so long as they also have the original. (I could be wrong.)

I suppose I would email her and ask but if I didn't get a nice reply, or at least a polite one, I'd simply find another pattern. Heck, there are SO many free, pretty scarf patterns on the net, without mistakes, and I doubt I'd have any trouble finding another one.

I'd give them the link to the pattern as-is, and then as part of the class I would explain to them what needs to be done to complete the pattern. Unfortunately, badly written patterns are not all that rare, so this will be a good opportunity for you to teach them how to deal with the badly written ones they might run across once they are finished with your class. Once your class is over, they will be on their own as far as what to do if they run across a pattern that is difficult to decipher, so this could be used as a great learning experience for them.

I don't really know what I'd do about writing to the person who wrote the pattern. She might take it as constructive criticism, and then again she might take it as you suggesting that she doesn't know what she's doing. If you don't mind possibly getting a rude reply from her, then I guess maybe I'd email her and tell her the problems you ran into with the pattern and that you have suggestions that might make it easier for people to understand. If you do receive a rude reply from her, just don't take it personally or allow it to escalate into an email argument. It's not worth it.

I agree with Elle. Give them the pattern and use it as a teaching oopportunity. Not all patterns are going to be clear. If is something really minor, I just make a note of it off to the side and continue on.

If it were my pattern and I had made just a simple mistake I would want to know. That does happen on occasion. However... if the pattern was just completely poorly written altogether, then maybe the person just doesn't quite grasp the concept of pattern writing and in the future I would just avoid them. Unless it was a pattern you could just look and possibly make it your own. Quite possibly the person is a beginner to writing instructions and just need some practice.

Here is the link.

http://crochetpatterns09.blogspot.com/2009/08/crochet-lace-shell-scarf.html

I love the scarf, it works up fast and there is a new stitch in it for my students to learn.

I think I am going to email my students the link so that they can have the pattern for Thursday's class and then as Elle says tell them what is missing and how to complete the scarf. And also explain that not all patterns are written the same way. Thanks so much for all of your input.

You cannot simply rewrite the pattern and distribute it to your students, as that would be considered a "derivative work" under copyright law, and would be copyright infringement. You would need to get the designer's permission in order to distribute a rewritten pattern to your students.

Additionally, just to clarify, you'll need to have each student print their own copy of the pattern directly from the designer's website. It would also be copyright infringement to print out patterns to give to each student. EDIT: Crazycrochet did say that she was emailing the link to her students, so she was doing everything correctly here. The clarification is for anyone else who might think about teaching a class using someone else's pattern.

Also, if you are charging for this class, you would need to ask permission from the designer before you can teach her pattern in your class.

If the designer gives permission for you to teach from her pattern, or if you're teaching with no compensation, then you could ask each student to print their own copy of the pattern. Then, as others have suggested, you can use it as a learning opportunity with your students, to show them what type of information they should look for in patterns and how to adapt patterns that don't contain necessary information so they'll be able to use them.

You could discuss different ways to make the pattern work, and let each student make their own notes for what they want to do with the pattern.

I just made this pattern for my September scarf. It is really easy but incomplete. Maybe she just didn't have anyone test it. Lots of patterns say to let the designer know if there is anything that is unclear so maybe she would like to know. It is easy if you know to just finish as it is begun but A beginner will be confused.

I just made this pattern for my September scarf. It is really easy but incomplete. Maybe she just didn't have anyone test it. Lots of patterns say to let the designer know if there is anything that is unclear so maybe she would like to know. It is easy if you know to just finish as it is begun but A beginner will be confused.

Exactly, that is my point. Thanks. :crocheting

Ok....just by reading the instructions, it doesn't sound difficult to follow to me. Mind you, I haven't actually worked it....that may be a different story! I'm gonna give it a try tho!

No it is not difficult to follow, but it doesn't tell you how to finish it. A beginning crocheter would not know that.

You cannot simply rewrite the pattern and distribute it to your students, as that would be considered a "derivative work" under copyright law, and would be copyright infringement. You would need to get the designer's permission in order to distribute a rewritten pattern to your students.

Additionally, just to clarify, you'll need to have each student print their own copy of the pattern directly from the designer's website. It would also be copyright infringement to print out patterns to give to each student. EDIT: Crazycrochet did say that she was emailing the link to her students, so she was doing everything correctly here. The clarification is for anyone else who might think about teaching a class using someone else's pattern.

Also, if you are charging for this class, you would need to ask permission from the designer before you can teach her pattern in your class.

If the designer gives permission for you to teach from her pattern, or if you're teaching with no compensation, then you could ask each student to print their own copy of the pattern. Then, as others have suggested, you can use it as a learning opportunity with your students, to show them what type of information they should look for in patterns and how to adapt patterns that don't contain necessary information so they'll be able to use them.

You could discuss different ways to make the pattern work, and let each student make their own notes for what they want to do with the pattern.

I had suggested that she leave the pattern as is and add her own comments...that would NOT be changing the pattern...that would be her making commentary...helpful commentary at that.

That would not be violating copyright.

Archived