questions aout a Camera

hi there i was wondering if anyone knows of a good camera?

I got a samsung SL30 to take picters for my jewelry i am making. i wanted to put them on line to sell. when i took the pics they would not come on clear enough close up.

I was wondering if any of you know of a better camera that is out there and not very expensive

I'm not a camera expert, except to know if you move a hair when taking a landscape shot, it's not nearly so obvious as when you make the same jiggle when shooting close up. I would try to rig up a "tripod" (stack of books, whatever) to steady the camera and see if that helps.

Also, are you using the macro (close up) setting? Wow, I just looked up the features on your camera and it sounds better than my Canon at 4x the price.

Hi Korjuen!

I found the user's manual for your camera online here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200906/20090608151102750/SL30_English.pdf

If you go to page 28, it explains how to get to the macro function. Using the macro is the best way to get close-up shots. And I would take Granny Square's advice and use a tripod to get really sharp pics.

(Btw, Granny Square, I LOVE your avatar!)

Plus I would use a solid color background. Royal blue is probably the best. You can go to the craft store or Walmart and pick up a few different colors of those foam craft sheets (8 X 10) and use those for your background.

I love the macro/close up on my camera, but I have to be steady.

I saw some cheap tripods at the dollar store, but haven't got in one. You could easily use something for a tripod (books would work--great idea) and hang the jewelry on something with a background color. Maybe get some sheets of color paper and see which ones look best for the jewelry. For larger or longer pieces you could get some poster board or even the 11x14 paper.

Photography is my second hobby :) Any point and shoot camera can take good pictures if you know how to use all of the functions on it. Does your camera have manual settings?? If it does you would be better off using those instead of just the macro function. Depending on your price range you could also look into getting a begginner level DSLR.

If your pics are blurry, you may be too close to the object. Try setting the camera on the macro setting and either use natural light and flourescent light with a white background or go outside for the shoot. If your subject is light colored, use a solid dark setting like dark blue. Avoid shiny surfaces. If you do use the macro, try a few shots with the camera at a "normal" distance and some a little closer. See which you like best. If you still think you'd like a new camera, the newest model of the Cool-Pix is great. These are only a few suggestions but hopefully they will help. Happy shooting! ;)

Archived