Did Boye fix their N hook?

jess315

So, I spotted a Boye L hook and got excited thinking, because their N had always been 8 mm, that this L hook might fall into the in-between L & K size of a possible 7.00 mm. It does not, it's an accurate 8mm...

soooo now i'm curious if thier newer N hooks measure an accurate 10mm.

Anyone know?

Hmmm.... interesting - I never noticed it until you wrote the post. I just looked at both "N" hooks that I have and the Susan Bates is 10.00 mm and the Boye is 9.00 mm. :think That is strange! I was given the Boye hook as a gift and am unable to use it because I can't use that kind, I end up splitting my yarn. Soon after I got my Susan Bates one, so I'm all set. But, that is strange that the sizing is off like that, huh?

This reminds me that when I was a teenager (in the late 70's) I had a crochet hook that was marked a 4.50 mm (a little bigger than a G, but not an H) and I loved that hook and used it for many years, but ended up losing it during a move when my kids were little. :cry I still wonder why it was apparently available then, but not now, because I've never seen another 4.50 mm hook again. I don't remember where I got it from, but probably from my mother or grandmother.

I love the 4.5mm hook! My Crochet Lite that I got a couple of years ago IS a G 4.5mm

Well, at least I know I'm not remembering wrong, there is a hook that size! :)

I guess it is something that would have to be ordered, or maybe something I can ask for for my upcoming birthday! :D

• 1 month later...

wow - I looked...

My Boye N is a 9

My Susan Bates crystalite is listed as a 10

The Susan Bates L out of the same set is listed an as 8

The Boye K I have is listed as a 6.5

There there is the bamboo K hook that is larger then the Boye K and smaller then the Susan Bates L. No size listed.

I looked at the hooks and it would appear that my Boye N (at 9.00mm) is closer to the Susan Bates M at 9.00 mm

I think my head hurts

Can say that again :)

The illuminated hooks that A.C. Moore carries (i can't remember the brand) the G was listed as a 4.5 (since I know someone had mentioned this earlier)

After going on a mission...

Susan Bates G - 4.0

Boye G - 4.25

Hmmm.... interesting - I never noticed it until you wrote the post. I just looked at both "N" hooks that I have and the Susan Bates is 10.00 mm and the Boye is 9.00 mm. :think That is strange! I was given the Boye hook as a gift and am unable to use it because I can't use that kind, I end up splitting my yarn. Soon after I got my Susan Bates one, so I'm all set. But, that is strange that the sizing is off like that, huh?

This reminds me that when I was a teenager (in the late 70's) I had a crochet hook that was marked a 4.50 mm (a little bigger than a G, but not an H) and I loved that hook and used it for many years, but ended up losing it during a move when my kids were little. :cry I still wonder why it was apparently available then, but not now, because I've never seen another 4.50 mm hook again. I don't remember where I got it from, but probably from my mother or grandmother.

I use my 4.5 hook alot, I actually have two of them. If you pm me your adress I can send you one.

Susan Bates currently makes a 4.5 mm hook, it's labeled as "size 7" as well as the mm sizing. It does measure 4.5 mm in my hook gauge. I got a couple recently at a Michaels store, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sorry I have no info on the N hook:hook

Just got back from Michaels and have found what I am now considering the elusive 4.5 mm :)

Anyway

Both the Crochet Lite illuminated hook and the Clover soft touch G hooks are listed as a 4.5 mm

As for the Susan Bates size 7 - it is part of the Silverlume line. The Michaels I visited did not have individual Silverlumes but only in sets. The sets (at least the ones carrying the G size) did not include a size 7 - but I am sure it can be found individually as I've seen it available on some crochet supply sites.

I guess the kicker in all of this is I now have 3 different sized G hooks (depending on manufacturer), at 4.0, 4.25, and 4.5...

talk about standards!!!!

Archived