Opinions, please!--Quick Crochet, Huge Hooks

Reba

I saw a little blurb about this book in the latest Crochet Fantasy, and I wanted to know if any of you have it and think it's worth buying! I love working with big hooks and bulky yarn--on top of that, I need projects that aren't too involved, as I'm ashamed to say I lose interest on one particular project pretty quickly.:( So, any opinions?

I've also been eyeballing this book....I do love quick crochet and have had Q hook patterns in the past and loved them...interested to see what those that have this book have to say....I've not even seen one in person to thumb through it!

I flipped thru it to when I was at the bookstore but wasn't impressed at all but then again, I'm not a big fan of big crochet hooks either (meaning anything over a K hook). IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I havent seen that book, but working with a big hook makes quick work out of an afghan. I've finished one in under 10 hours - not bad for ANYTHING crochet, let alone a big throw size afghan! It's definatly worth investigating, but maybe try some of the freebie patterns to see if you like it before buying a book only to find out you dont like it. :idea

• 3 months later...

I read some of the other replies on this thread and saw that the more experienced people were not terribly impressed with this book. I ordered it on interlibrary loan from the library anyway since I wanted to check it out.

The book came in today and it is a slim volume but I have to say as a new crocheter it opened up new ideas to me on unconventional/non-commercial materials that can be used for crochet.

I have lots of old fabric bolts and scraps that I might try to make into rag yarn after seeing a few of the cool combinations of materials used in this book.

The author, Sally Harding, has little diagrams that show the best way to cut the fabric to get long, continuous strips. Have not seen many other books that included info on rag yarn or rug making so I found this book helpful.

Darn. I just heard from my book club today that they shipped mine on 11/4. I haven't got it yet and I'm already disappointed. I shouldn't have looked at this thread, LOL.

I purchased the book and find that the unconventional use of different yarns, and what is used instead of yarn, well.... inspiring.

I haven't made anything from the book yet, however, I did play around with twine and love what I made (basket with beads). They have two twine "purses" (string shopper -n- twine basket) that I plan on working on after the holidays and I think I'm might make the rug.

I like the book.... It gives me ideas, sparks my imagination.

I've looked through this a couple of times at Hobby Lobby but I can't seem to justify the price. The patterns are pretty basic and I already have several that are similar, and I already like to crochet with weird stuff so I don't need the book for that either.

Nice enough book, but not for me.

Archived