Getting Ready for the Bazaar...

appy_lover

:waving

I have been :lurking here since you started this CAL... i have done a few shows, but don't have any planned for this season (yet?)

I have done well with scarves, shawls, Christmas ornaments, and "blinged" magic gloves and fuzzy socks. You know, the ones you can grab at AC Moore for a buck. I just put a round of FunFur or Bernat Boa around the cuff, usually in the school colors of the town I am in. Those are quick and fun, and sell pretty well @ $5 - $8.

I wish you all much success with the craft fair/bazaar season! I will be :cheer:cheer for all of you!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I bought 16 bangle bracelets from the dollar store (came in sets of 4). I started making little girl's purses with the bracelets for handles. They are coming out super cute, use very little yarn, and don't take much time. I did the crochet work on 3 last night, but I still need to finish ends and buttons on them, so I can't count them in my totals yet. My $4 bracelets, a few buttons, and some scrap yarn should net me 8 girls purses. That in combination with the others I had left from last year will get me to goal for that item...Plus the bracelets came with rings, so I'll have 8 plastic rings I can give out with the purses.

I think my favorite was white with teal fun fur, making a fuzzy purse with teal handles...so cute, and a good use for that dratted fun fur I have left over from a scarf. I guess that will be my weekend project, completeing enough little girls purses for the booth. Should be able to get that done...

So I took a couple days off this week to make something for the shawl/wrap swap. But I have made a hat and 11 bookmarks from no 10 thread. I think tonight is a rent a couple movies and work in ends night. I have all those little purses and bookmarks to work in ends on. I also have a lot of stuff to block. I have plans tomorrow, but maybe Sunday will be a good day to block...there is a lot to do.

I updated my totals, and I am getting a lot closer to the goal. I spent all of Friday evening and part of Saturday working in ends. The little girl's purses turned out super cute, but I discovered I was out of white thread to sew the buttons on. Of all things out of white sewing thread. Off to Wal-mart tonight, then I can take pics.

I saw a sign at the grocery store about a craft show on October 10, so I need to look that up too. Craft show season is coming...faster than I am really ready for...

Everything you've made looks great. I made several hat & scarves also. I made several fridgies and now I am making some pumpkin bags & totes. I just wish I knew what the crowd wanted. It would make creating so much easier. :lol

Yep! I know I'll have the flea market crowd-not like a craft show crowd-or the art show crowd!:lol

I'd like to see your pumpkin bags.

this year i'm not doing the annual craft fair, because I need to stock up on my items. I usually make handmade cards, but i want to expand my booth to include handmade jewerly (my dd who's 11 makes them and they are awesome) but I want to make crochet items. I find the ones (craft shows) here most people make dishclothes, so I want to make totally different stuff.

I would also suggest making stroller/carseat blankets, I think they would do really good too. And girly stuff.

Yep! I know I'll have the flea market crowd-not like a craft show crowd-or the art show crowd!:lol

I'd like to see your pumpkin bags.

I posted a pumpkin tote under the show & tell section.

The one I am participating at this month is in conjunction with a local high school fall festival. So I am thinking a lot of kids. I am making hair scrunchies, head bands, book marks and fridgies in school colors and beyond. These items hopefully will draw the kids in and hopefully they will drag mom over to see what they are spending their couple of dollars on and she will see the more expensive items. ;)

Well this weekend I cranked out 4 scarves and 3 hats. Two of the scarves were out of acrylic camo..perfect for little boys. Another scarf out of 2 skeins of that Deborah Norville Bulky weight yarn that was on sale. Love working with it, and it turned out super pretty in the blue/brown color combo. Glad I got enough for 2 scarves in that color.

These are the girls purses I made, I really like how the bangle bracelets made cute handles. No pattern used for any of the above, just made stuff with simple shapes.

post-10680-13589744633_thumb.jpg

Well this weekend I cranked out 4 scarves and 3 hats. Two of the scarves were out of acrylic camp..perfect for little boys. Another scarf out of 2 skeins of that Deborah Norville Bulky weight yarn that was on sale. Love working with it, and it turned out super pretty in the blue/brown color combo. Glad I got enough for 2 scarves in that color.

These are the girls purses I made, I really like how the bangle bracelets made cute handles. No pattern used for any of the above, just made stuff with simple shapes.

Cute! I'm using that Debra Norville Bulky for my first ever knitting try. It is nice to work with!

Well this weekend I cranked out 4 scarves and 3 hats. Two of the scarves were out of acrylic camp..perfect for little boys. Another scarf out of 2 skeins of that Deborah Norville Bulky weight yarn that was on sale. Love working with it, and it turned out super pretty in the blue/brown color combo. Glad I got enough for 2 scarves in that color.

Wow! You are getting a lot acomplished!! I love the little girl's purses!!

My art festival is this Saturday & Sunday. Friday I have to set up my tent & booth at the festival. This is going to be a busy busy busy weekend. After I set up my booth for the festival my DH & I are going over to my Daddy's house. For my late birthday dinner. Since Daddy is out of town on my birthday which is Thursday the 17th. Then Saturday we have to be at the festival early for the breakfast, then the festival is from 10-6 and then after wards there is a cook out for all of the vendors. We are staying for that. Then the festival begins again on Sunday is 12-5 and after wards we have to take down our tent, booth and load it up in the truck. Uggh. Which is a lot of work.

My art festival is this Saturday & Sunday. Friday I have to set up my tent & booth at the festival. This is going to be a busy busy busy weekend. After I set up my booth for the festival my DH & I are going over to my Daddy's house. For my late birthday dinner. Since Daddy is out of town on my birthday which is Thursday the 17th. Then Saturday we have to be at the festival early for the breakfast, then the festival is from 10-6 and then after wards there is a cook out for all of the vendors. We are staying for that. Then the festival begins again on Sunday is 12-5 and after wards we have to take down our tent, booth and load it up in the truck. Uggh. Which is a lot of work.

So how did you do? We were doing ok then got rained out!

My craft fair was yesterday. It was not very well populated at all but I was able to sell a few things. The most popular item was my hats. Sold several of them and could have sold more but I did not realize the men that would be asking for them and also people wanting baby hats for gifts. I think the key to selling was the styroform heads I displayed them on. DH built a stand that made it is to elevate and stagger them. I am going to work on more for the next one. Also there were other crafters there with crochet items but they told me that hats were too difficult for them to make. I dont thnk that they are that hard but I did not tell them that ;) I think I found my nitch, for this area anyway.

natashaanne--I bet the hats will be a fun nitch..I love making hats because they are so quick!! I made 3 yesterday. Men do like simple hats.

I have found 2 shows, one in October that is a small elemetry school show, ony$20 a table. It should be a good lead in. Then a bigger 2 day show that is Juried in November. I hope that one goes well. I can also hit the farmers market once in October if there is good enough weather since I don't have a canopy or roof of any kind.

I am traveling in December so I think I will have to miss the show that got me started, which is a bummer. Maybe just maybe I will make some extra money for my trip...

yesterday we had a big kids yard sale (over a 100 moms selling kids clothes and vendors too mom2mom) well someone was selling sock monkey hats and (this is what over price means) these beanie hats for infants. These hats where made from sugar and cream yarn but in neutral color and they had this big flower hot glued on them. Really simple to make and you know what the lady was charging 25 dollars a hat. OMG, the flowers were from the dollar store and the yarn you can buy under 2 dollars, like come on thats just crazy, no one was buying them.

So after the sale we went to meijers (I live across the border) to buy my groceries because its cheaper and bought tons of yarn to make sock monkey hats for a 1.99 a skein, can't beat that price, now I need to find a pattern.

But I would suggest making animal hats, they were a hot seller.

Last night I wrote out price tags till I ran out of tags, guess I have to go to Wal-Mart today for more. Pricing is so hard! I think my sister and her boyfriend were getting tired of the "how much do you think for this?" question by the time I was done.

I still have to block a couple scarves and all my bookmarks. I have more stuff made than I started with last year, but just a bit more...and I feel like I've gotten better at gauging what I need, so we'll see how it goes.

Archived