Getting Ready for the Bazaar...

appy_lover

I printed my business cards and wrote the item description and price on the back for individual items. For things I was selling multiples of I printed a sign on my computer. ie: hats & scarves, bookmarks & fridgies, small dishcloths. This seemed to work well and saved me lots ot time and ink.:lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting ready for my 23rd year of selling at the local craft show held at our school.

It really is tough in this area to sell knit/crochet items, because "grandma would make me one if I asked her" syndrome rules. Grandma wouldn't make what I make, but that is beside the point. AND the economy.

I wish all of you luck....

Here's what I have on my list to make (doesn't mean I will get it done :lol)

1. scarves, hats

2. baby sweaters

3. ornaments

4. a few stuffed toys (I have a license to sell them)

5. maybe a few holiday potholders

Who knows what else may strike my fancy.

I think this will be the last year for me as things just aren't selling and I am tired of trying to anticipate the market.

natashaanne--I bet the hats will be a fun nitch..I love making hats because they are so quick!! I made 3 yesterday. Men do like simple hats.

I have found 2 shows, one in October that is a small elemetry school show, ony$20 a table. It should be a good lead in. Then a bigger 2 day show that is Juried in November. I hope that one goes well. I can also hit the farmers market once in October if there is good enough weather since I don't have a canopy or roof of any kind.

I am traveling in December so I think I will have to miss the show that got me started, which is a bummer. Maybe just maybe I will make some extra money for my trip...

Which farmer's market - Bonner's Ferry?

Yup, I sold at the Bonners Ferry Farmers Market for around 5-6 years (they offered me a treasurer position at one point) starting when I was about 14 years old. It just got to much for me. There were alot of times when I just spent hours sitting there and not making a dime. Craft shows were MUCH more profitable for me.

Julee

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my first event of the year. It wasn't a great result, but I definately made a little money. And I did a trade with one of my shawls for some jewelry. The lady with the jewelry was so sweet when she approached me, I couldn't not trade with her. She actually wore the shawl out, I saw her driving away in it. Was good to see it go to a good home. And I got a pretty freshwater pearl earrings/necklace set.

I had a good time, and sold some hats, bookmarks and one scarf. There were several crocheters at this event, but I think my hats were unique. There was a mother and daughter with beautiful afghans and scarves. Thier scarves were mostly double stranded, really thick and warm. There was a lady with beautiful crocheted doilies.

I don't think the afghans or the doilies sold very well. Do you ever feel bad about having your stuff sell if the other crocheters don't sell as well? It wasn't a great show for anyone, but I ended up next to the most popular booth--the homemade pies. I think that helped, and I sold a lot of kids hats.

I would have done better if I'd had more toddler-preschool sized hats, and warm wool hats for adults. Note to self, if your selling at an elementry school fundraiser, there will be lots of small children. If your selling in a town where it gets extremely cold, wool will be popular.

• 3 weeks later...

So this weekend I have my first juried 2 day craft show. I help fill in my gaps we have added a friend to the stuff to come with me and share the booth. Should be fun!! Today and tomorrow I am a stitching fool!! I made 2 hats yesterday on the airplanes home from my trips. Today I'v worked in ends, put braids on earflap hats, made one whole hat, and started a scarf.

My new record for making hats is 5 1/2 in a night. I started around 9 last night and worked till about 3 am. I cheated a bit and used double strands of ww yarn with a big hook, it made some big cushy fun hats. I'll package my bookmarks,and see what else I can get done today before I have to leave at about noon for the show.

Good luck to anyone who still has craft shows left this holiday season!! I hope that your shows go well and that you make lots of moolah..or at least enough to get you ahead a lil bit.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I did just ok...made the booth fee and then some...took a couple special orders. One was pre-paid, so I was happy to take it. The other I am hoping will come though all right...the lady wanted matching sets for her granddaughters, I only had what she wanted in one color so she did buy that...and requested more in pink & purple...will have to make them up right away.

Another lady approached me about making some scarves for a local store to sell, but she only wanted to pay "wholesale" which was about 1/3 of the price I had on what she wanted. We'll see if she calls me again, but she has my card...

I hope that your shows go well also!!

Wanted to share something funny that happened. I was sitting in the booth and a lady walked by, she said "It is so nice to see the younger generation crocheting." I looked at my friend, and said "She thinks I'm Young!" (I'm 32, so it tickled me a bit)

Archived