Does Kool-aid dye work on cotton yarn?

Kimblee

From everything I've read, kool-aid only works on "raw" animal fibres (ie wool that isn't superwashed)...but you CAN use tie dye, and fabric dyes...I like the dylon brand myself. It's powder, you can mess with the concentration, mix and blend... and it's easy to do. I love dying cottons (I'm allergic to wool)

just about any non-superwash white or off-white wool will dye well. knit-picks.com has some (I believe) that even says "good for dying"

HTH

I am no expert but cotton needs to have a dye that will set. Unfortunately kool aid will only temporarily dyr cotton yarns. After a few washes it will come out. You need to use a perminant dye such as those sold in yarn stores or you can use RIT dyes.

I don't know about the cotton....but I have dyed Lion Brand's fisherman's wool, Knit picks bare, Patons classic merino, any off white or cream wool yarn would work. I have also heard about people that have overdyed pink, blue, etc.

• 2 months later...

Superwash wool will dye just fine with kool-aid. Actually superwash wool with acid dyes, which basically what kool-aid is, takes up dye really well. At least this is what I see and have heard in other dye forums. I haven't dye superwash yarns myself.

I've used Kool-Aid (grape, tropical punch and ice blue raspberry lemonade) to dye white cotton 4 ply yarn as well as white #10 thread. It works well IF you dye in HOT (almost boiling) water and white vinegar to help set the dye. It WILL fade when you wash the item, probably for several washes, even in cold water. But the color of the dyed items I have done looks just like it did after I dyed it.

Archived