Your Choice Lace KAL - Starting in June

HomekeepingGran

I read though my directions for the Jubilee scarf and may change my mind about doing it.. Looks to easy and I know I'll get bored with it and never finish it..

So I may look for some thing or/ I could start my Bat shawl http://emileeknits.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/wa-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-bat-shawl/ I have the yarn and everything for it.. I'll see..

But I'll be casting on today what ever I come up with..

I need to start the doily, too.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bat shawl is really cute.

Well the scarf is going pretty good for me. I have 4 repeats done so far. Eack repeat is only 4 rows so its going pretty quickly. I have been working 4 rows then switching to my other wips for a few rows. At least this way something gets done on all of them. I will try to get some pictures up later this week.

Sounds like everyone is busily working away!

The videos do help, don't they, Tammy? And it sounds like you are speeding on ahead with 4 repeats already! Plus continuing to work on your other WIPs? Wow.

mamaoso, boredom can be an issue for a lot of people if the pattern is too simple, I hear. Me, I like doing the same thing over and over and can usually develop a good rythym that way. What color will you use for the Bat Shawl if you do it?

Ana, it's too bad your yarn/thread isn't in but the scarves you already have going are lovely. Hey, they're lace so they qualify precisely for this KAL!

I have about 8 rows done (half a repeat) on Alhambra and found some kind of silly mistake in the last row so I'll have to tink back to correct. Sounds like the perfect time for a C'ville break to me! There are so few rows on the needles that I don't even have a lifeline put in yet. Once I am more familiar with the pattern maybe I can just slip out a few stitches and correct right where I am but not yet...

:crocheting Is this icon crocheting or knitting? I had always thought knitting for the longest but it looks like only a single stitch on the... tool, whatever it is. :think

:knit But this one is definitely knitting!

Yes, a Bat Shawl just ought to be made in black, I guess.

I saw this shawl from elann done in black and worn very deliberately for a bat/Halloween theme. It was kind of cool and I don't even care for Halloween! I always wanted to make that in a deep green. Can you tell I like green?

Just a couple of tips for those who haven't messed with lace much. Actually, I haven't "messed" with lace much myself but I have made many, many mistakes in my short lace career so maybe I can help you be on the lookout for a couple of things.

The mistake I mentioned while ago when I said I needed to tink back: after I moved away from the knitting for a few minutes (this nearly always helps me) and came back I realized all I had done was to accidentally lift a thread between two stitches. This put an extra stitch onto the needle but it took me a little bit to figure out that all I had to do was to let it back down. Simple, no? Just BE CAREFUL because that is not always the answer. Sometimes you may have forgotten to knit 2 together or maybe you did something else to accidentally increase your stitch count.

Then, it seemed to happen again: it looked like an extra stitch but all that had happened is that my stitch marker for the sections slid all the way underneath a big yarn over on the previous row. With the marker in the wrong place I thought for a minute that my count was off. After examining the knitting it was nice to just move the marker back into place and go on.

If you don't know about lifelines, lace is one place you will enjoy learning. They are literally a lifesaver! Sometimes the mistake will be major and will require undoing and redoing work; it can be truly hard to get your yarn back onto your needle properly without a lifeline. Check out how they are used here on Knitting Help. Scroll down into Fixing Mistakes to find the video. I like to just use a contrasting color crochet thread but a lot of people use dental floss for lace lifelines. Many people put in lifelines at the beginning of every repeat but for me, if the repeats have a lot of rows, I generally move it twice during a repeat. The complexity of the lace pattern also indicates how often I move it.

Tammy, that is a really popular pattern. Lots of people love dragons. Me, I love all the leafy, organic designs.

I would like it more if the scales were done in some sort of lacy pattern but I do like it very much. I have been searching for a wizard but have never found one. It doesn't stop me from looking for one though.

I TOTALLY agree with you and using life lines. I am using them at every pattern repeat. Good thing I am because I had to tink back to it twice and this is an easy pattern. I once learned this the hard way and I swore I would never forget to use them again. I would much rather have to repeat the 4 pattern rows then the entire project.

Okay, I have started!!:cheer

I have 33 rows on so far.

I'm going to start my doily, so I'll put this one down for now.

I really like the yarn and it's going to be for the Bat Fest we have here every year..

Under the bridges downtown over the Lady Bird Lake the Mexican Bat live for the summer..

Anyhoo, here's is what I have so far.

post-1753-135897412496_thumb.jpg

Wait. You started this today and already have 33 rows?

Wow.

Wow.

mamaoso, I don't know what to say. Don't tell me you're not a lace expert.

Tammy, if I see a wizard I'll try to remember to tell you. :)

Ok as promissed I have pics of my lace as well as all my Wips I am trying to finish. Of course those things that are finished are not blocked yet but now you will see what I am trying to get off my plate.

The first pic is my lace scarf. (WIP)

The homespun ghan is for DH. (DONE)

The blue blanket in ocean is my first knit baby blanket. I dont like the bordr but maybe after I block it I will. (Done)

The next two multi bright ones are baby blanket and car seat blanket (wip)

The next pastel is a stroler blanket (wip)

The purple one is a lapghan for a friend who is having rough pregnancy(wip)

The fall color granny is for my sisters b-day in September (wip)

Last but not least is a few bookmarks I am making for the library.

WHEW I did not realize I had so much going on until I took some pics. No wonder I am tired.

post-13959-135897412513_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412517_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412519_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412523_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412526_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412529_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412532_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412535_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897412537_thumb.jpg

What's your problem, Tammy? Only 9 (nine!) WIPs? You lazy thing! (Grin.) — I'll be honest: that makes me tired just to look at it. Whew. And they look like very nice WIPs, too. :D I don't know whether to tell you to keep going or to go take a nap! :lol

Prolific. This girl is prolific. And does excellent work, too.

Thanks Carla. OH and those wips do not include the 3 minis I have going or the Secret wip I have. I did put them on the wait list though until I get those wips done. Well at least until I get the 3 baby ghans and the lapghan done anyway.

Oh yeah I also make at least 5 fireman bears every month for my firefighting family to give out. A few members on the Ville helped make bears last year.

My computer is moving very slowwwwwly tonight.

I'm posting a little picture of where I am at this exact moment. I cast on this afternoon (1:30, 2:00?) and have worked Alhambra off and on. Not being as fast as some of the rest of you, this is a lot for me — not quite one repeat. But... supper is over, dishes are done and I can do a little more before bedtime maybe.

post-11235-13589741254_thumb.jpg

Carla I love the color. I am NOT at all a fast knitter. I still want to try the doily but my knitpicks order has not come yet. Good thing too since I have got to get these wips out of the way first.

Mamaos 33 rows already? wow You must have fast fingers. Do you knit continental? I have tried it a few times thinking it would be easier fo rme since I was very much a crocheter first but I just could not get the hang of it. I am a thrower I guess. It takes longer but it is all I know how to do and it works so I guess I will stick with it.

I realized part of mamaoso's secret when she posted a picture: her pattern starts at the point of a triangle so quite a few of the rows are very, very short. Boy, do I feel better after seeing that. But there are people on Ravelry who made Twinings in less than a week of evenings. Whoosh! They're done.

My little scarf is coming along nicely. I am about ¾ths of the way into the second repeat and it's starting to look like the pattern. :)

Tammy, I had trouble with Continental at first and did English style but I was determined to learn Continental. Actually I learned Combination first because I couldn't manage Continental purling. Now I have the purling down but I do wrap the yarn differently from most Continental knitters. It comes off the back side of my finger which gives me good control to dip that finger over the needle and not lose the yarn. I've seen so many different ways to accomplish Continental purling it's almost mind-boggling. This works for me.

That is exactly my problem with continental. I can't purl. For now I will just stick to what I know. Once I get to a comfortable leavel with my knitting skills then I will try again.

No more progress on the scarf tonight. My hands are sore and I am tired so need to not overdue it.

I did nearly another repeat last night but if I can, I'm going to slow down so that I don't overdo. I have a big tendency for inflammation and I can already feel some aches in my hands and shoulder, sigh. But I don't WANT to slow down. I want to knit, knit, knit! LOL.

Tammy, if you Google for "Continental purling video" and don't mind looking for a while, you may discover a method to purl which works well for you. There are a ton of vids on Youtube with lots of people demonstrating how they solved the purling problem. Some time ago I found not a video but a blog where the gal showed the thread coming off the back of her finger instead of the front and that has worked for me. I already knew how to handle the yarn tension from being a crocheter. Maybe tonight I can get my husband to take a couple of pictures of my purling. It may or may not help you but I guess it could be worth a try. Continental truly IS faster than English.

I am hoping that toward the end of every week we can do the traditional CAL/KAL thing and post progress pictures. But certainly if another time suits you better, go for it! It's just kind of nice to know that there will be some pictorials waiting on you on Friday or so.

Knit on, everyone! :knit

I'm not a fast knitter.:lol

That's why I posted the picture.. It starts from the bottom of the trangle, little short rows. Otherwise I maybe on row 2..:lol

Wiz~ nice job on the balnkets and all your Wip's

My WIP's are down to 4. Thank you very much and no I'm not going to add anymore..

Baby socks and hats ~ on going for chairty

Big D's blanket ~ This graph afghan is going to take me forever....:(.

Doily ~ have 14 rows done.. Starting took tooooooo long. YO kept jumping off the end of the needles..

Bat Shawl ~ moving along quite nicely..

Nope I'm a thrower.(English) I can do Continental, but my tension if off. I just keep going back to throwing..

Picture Friday is a great ideal.. I'm in for that..

My knitting is coming along ..:think my dear daughter decided that she did not like how the multicolor pattern one was looking so she asked it I could start another pattern she pick,I started it this morning to see if she liked it better :blink

Mamaoso love the Bat Shawl my daughter would love that ..:yes and also the dragon one I saw in a post..:think I also have that doily started and same thing those YO kept making me mad .:angry

Tammy you have as many WIP's as I do ..but I have it in cross-stitch I have so many ..I get board easy that has a lot to do with it with me ..:shrug I think I have pictures of them here http://www.freewebs.com/ladylovestostitch/

Carla I love that pattern it is coming along great .:yes

post-6068-135897412862_thumb.jpg

Ana ~ That's going to be pretty.. Looks real good so far..

Carla~ Sorry I forgot to add a ~ Pretty in my last post to you.

I like what you have done so far.

I'm going to get off the computer and start knitting....

Ana - Thanks for sharing your pics with us.Your work is just beautiful. I can so relate. I have a HUGE plastic bin full of crossstitch projects that are not done. I dont see as well as I once did so I dont work on them much anymore. God knows what is in that bin. I used t love doing it but not so much as I once did.

Oh, Ana. I'm sorry you had to start over. I like this new pattern very well but what does your daughter say? You know, as long as you're putting this kind of time into it you definitely want it to be something she loves!

Tension in knitting is such a funny thing. My tension is good in English and in Continental. Oddly, it's not that good in Combination although Combination ought to be a way to correct your tension. I would be weird. :scrachin Of course, I am fastest in Combination, too, so that may enter in to it since I am probably getting sloppy with my stitches. Part of the trouble with Combo is that you have to think backwards about your decreases, especially. In traditional knitting if you want a right leaning decrease you use K2tog but in Combo that decrease leans left. Grumperina has a whole chart to give you a nice cheat sheet for Combo but still, you have to think! :eek

I have a few (gulp) UFOs hanging around myself from several different crafts. I try to keep them down but... every time I run across one I feel so guilty. :(

Archived