HomekeepingGran

Your Choice Lace KAL - Starting in June

mamaoso if I deside to do the egeblad would you want to do it with me? I can't make up my mind. I do think I will do the scarf too just in case. This would be my first attempt at anything like this. I only wish I knew what yarn and how much I would need. It doesn't say anywhere. I am thinking I would use 2.5 mm needles for it but ot sure what yarn or thread to use yet. Any ideas?

Tammy, that's an ambitious doily for a first time lace knitter! :eek I do really like your scarf, though. It looks perfect for first lace to me. Very pretty. What color would you use if you decide on this?

mamaoso, I thought that's what you said: it's your first doily.

I am having second thoughts about starting that doily in June. Without going into all the details of what will be happening in my life, it might be better if I choose something very simple for my summer knitting. I have two Anne Hanson patterns which I am nearly ready for — I just need the hanks wound into balls or cakes. Coral Gables would be done in a glorious true red and go with my navy winter coat or Alhambra, which would be done in a deep forest green and I'm not totally sure what it would be worn with. :lol

Carla those are both beautiful.

I think I will definately do the scarf. I have some beautiful Nako Angora that Aunt Bubbles gave me last summer when she visited Arizona. I also have some really nice mohair or I even have some beautiful bamboo/silk from love. I am not really sure what yarn I will use yet but I am definatly going to make the scarf.

I think I may try to do the doily at the same time. It will most likey take me forever to make since I knit so slow but I really want to try something to challenge me. I just dont know what yarn or thread to make it with. Anybody got any ideas?

It will be a really pretty scarf, Tammy!

And I'd better go ahead and order that swift I mentioned on the Beginning Knitting area if I want to get those hanks wound into cakes in time for June 1! It's either that or wind by hand. I have a winder but also have visions of an enormous tangle with yarn just draped over the back of a chair. :eek

I know what you mean Carla, about the big tangled mess on the chair..

I tried to do it draped over the chair. The frst one went no to bad few stops to untangle some trouble areas.. The second one was not so nice.. I had a big tangled mess on the seat of the hair and me on the floor going though it inch by inch.. Hubbie took over when he got home. He got it untangled and wound up for me. I got a swift after that!! I got it with a 50% off coupon. But I just say "I got a knot" and hubbie takes care of it..

I like both scarves. Maybe Alhambra alittle better.. In red Beautiful..

I have it down to Jojoland Melody yarn.. colourway ??? I have 4 different colors to choose from. And they are all saying "Take me" .

Tammy if I were you I would go with the scarf for the first time..

I'm doing a Doily CAL/KAL on another forum and I got the kit from Annie's Attic. That is the only reason that I'm going to try it.. :lol

Well... I went looking for some new lace patterns that I can try to attempt and I found these in "Second Book Of Modern Lace Knitting" by Marianne Kinzel she has lot of very beautiful lace in there, some with a lot of rows, I would have to use a life-line for sure :yes..I can do them both in thread ,that I have plenty of ..:yes What do you think ?

post-6068-135897409981_thumb.jpg

post-6068-135897409984_thumb.jpg

Oh Ana those are beautiful.

I use life lines all the time now. I had t olearn the hard way.

:thinkI don't know both are pretty...

I know, not much help.

Good morning, fellow lace knitters! Well, I guess the tower is out for my broadband reception at home so I am at the library typing this. I really hope by the time I finish my errands and make it back out to our house that they have it fixed. If they don't... well, if they don't it could be extremely difficult for me to participate in the KAL I called. :( Actually I'm not totally sure it's the tower since our own computer has trouble occasionally but we should be able to figure that out by the end of the day.

Ana, those are beautiful patterns. I don't know much about Marianne Kinzel but I think she is considered a premiere designer.

mamaoso, after my last post I realized I also have some lovely Jojoland cashmere for a pretty little scarf designed by Nancy Bush. Not sure what I will actually end up with but once my swift arrives, I guess I have to make a decision. Sounds like you are at a crossroads, too. Too bad you can't just order them all!

Just a few days to finish up some of my Wips. All is going well so far. I have decided to make the scarf. i may start the doily too but I have to wait untill my knitpicks order comes in to start that. I have everything alreay for the scarf and am itching to get started. I told the DH it was going to be my reward for finishing some of my current wips. He said he had wondered why he did not see any new things on my hooks and needles lately but he did notice I have been working on a ton of projects "like a bee on a pollin bindge" as he put it. He siad I have too many flowers to choose from so I keep bouncing back and forth between them. I guess he is right but even he has noticed that many are completed now or close to it. I have mainly been working on the 3 ghans and a little on some of my other wips but I am determined to get the baby ghans done and the big ghan if I can before I start the Kal.

Well off to "buzzing" through my wips.

Cant wait until June 1st.

I'm home and we've got Internet again! Yay! :cheer

A bee on a pollen binge, huh? Cute. Your husband sounds like he has a way with words, Tammy.

So many of you crafters juggle between projects all the time, much to my amazement. If my attention is somehow diverted to a second project, the first is highly likely to become a UFO. Toward the end of Twinings I could not wait to finish. It was a wonderful project and I love the finished stole but I was so tired of that yarn I could have... well, I'm not sure what I could have done, LOL. The color which looks so pretty at the beginning starts to wear on you after staring at it for hours on end. When I crocheted the Between Meal Centerpiece I was dreaming of anything but white toward the end of the rounds. :lol

I have decided to do the shawl..but in the pattern on the knit side it said to YO2 ,I got that part..but in the purl side it is a bit confusing to me how to purl the stitches that have been YO :think..I purl one but the second YO seems to just hand there :think I don't know how to grab it or just let it slide off ??

The pattern on the knit side goes like this: k2tog, yo2 , sl1 ,k1, psso ..12times and this same pattern 4 times till the end..Does anybody get what my problem is ??..:(

post-6068-135897410962_thumb.jpg

Can you tell us what the purl row says or does it say to purl the entire row?

yes, it says to purl the entire row ..:yes It co 234 stitches,purl one row then it starts as row 1: purl 3 ,them k till last 3 ..then row 2 purl an entire row , then row3 : k2tog, yo2 , sl1 ,k1, psso , then purl all even rows.

Edited by Goldkeeper

Ok that tells me you would also purl this stitch so I don't understand the issue completely. Hmm I have to try a test to see what you are having issues with. I think I understand what you are saying but without stitching it I cant visualize it. Let me see if I can figure it out. Maybe our more experienced knitters can help too.

k2tog, yo2 , sl1 ,k1, psso

Knit 2 together, Yarn Over twice, Slip 1, knit 1, pass over the slip stitch over the knit stitch.(4sts)

Purl row- you purl the 1 stitch for the K2tog, purl 2 for the yarn overs (1 in each), purl 1 stitch for the sl,k1,psso..(4sts)

I hope this helps..

June 1st is Monday of next week — only a few days away! It sounds like everyone is deciding what to do and getting their materials in order. I have everything but my swift but I had an e-mail from KnitPicks saying it has been shipped, so I hope it comes in before the June 1. (Today would be just fine! ;))

ana, questions like yours are why we want mamaoso on our team! I've never done a double YO like that but she had the answer right away.

I am still trying to finish a crocheted doily before June comes but it goes slowly. Crochet is extremely hard on my hands and arms. Well, knitting is hard, too, but not nearly as hard as crochet is. I'm only a few rounds from the end but at this rate it might be December before my pretty doily is done. :shrug

Thank You for your responses ..I went back and read the author's introductions and instructions being it is from a British Author ,they call needles ,PINS ,and the sizes ..:eek and cloth for doilies ..:think I came across a part it said pay special attention and I quote : If in a pattern row, a yarn over occurs twice in succession since in the following purl row the first corresponding stitch must be purled and the second stitch knitted . Knitters with slack tension should work only one YO where this double YO is given in the pattern, but great care must be taken that in the following row purl row ,two stitches are worked into its place..Ok I think I got one part (purl one YO then K the second YO ) I'm just to confused to get the second part and maybe i'ts for the best..:lol

Knitters with slack tension should work only one YO where this double YO is given in the pattern, but great care must be taken that in the following row purl row ,two stitches are worked into its place..

mamaoso can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this that you need to be sure you keep those two extra stitches at the YOs spot on the purl side. When you make the double YO on the knit side you are making two increases, one after the other. If you don't keep both of those increases on the purl side your number will be off at the end of the row and your next knit row won't have the right number of stitches to work.

I think the designer is telling you that IF your YOs tend to be really big they can be too big visually if you double them as per pattern directions, so make only one YO instead of two when you work the knit side. BUT... you still need to make that single huge YO into a pair of increases on the purl side: where you would have purled one and knitted the next I'm guessing you would purl without removing the yarn from the needle, then knit into the same stitch before removing it.

mamaoso? I bet I'm clear as mud. (Maybe wrong, too.) Help?

Actually, Ana, if your YOs are not slack you don't have to worry about the second part of the directions for people who work loosely. Just purl the first one you come to on the purl side and knit the second one.

Edited by HomekeepingGran
Clarification

Ok I did a sample and I did see the issue. Until I read your second post that said to purl first and then knit second. I then did this and it worked out OK. I think I would have to take a pencil and mark up the pattern so I would not forget to do that. That is just me but until I did it a few times consistantly i would forget to do that.

It was not as hard as it sounded but just an issue for me of remembering. I hope you decide to make it since I think it is gorgeous. Just be sure you would be happy with making it. That is all that matters.

On another note... I am just finishing up the border on the knitted baby blanket and the 2 other baby blankets are almost done as well. The large ghan is also coming along nicely. Will I get them all finished in the next 4 days? We shall see. I will post pictures of the items I finish the day we start this Kal. Off to finish them now.

After I read the directions a few times I think I got it. I knit like I crochet a little tight,so I will try the knit one yo and a purl yo.I am making my row cards ,there are over 100 rows!

Do you clip those together when you use them, Ana? Personally, I can't imagine. I would be lost before I knew it and really like the charts. But if that gets you through it, then go for it!

Tammy, you must be coming up only for air. Wow. Go, go, go!

No swift yesterday, but I knew it was a little soon for it to come. It probably won't come today, either, but maybe tomorrow?

Good Morning everyone!!!! Just popped in to say hello. I can't wait to get started on this Kal. I finished the border on the knit blanket but I am not happy with it so for now i will leave it and think about a better border for it while I try to finish up the other baby blankets. Having ADD I get distracted easily but knitting or crocheting has really helped me focus. The only thing that is hard is focusing on completing one project at a time. This is why I alway have so many wips. I try to limit myself to no more than 5 at a time but sometimes I get ahead of myself and have to regroup. That is why I am on the marathon now to get these wips done. If I get the blankets out of the way that will still leave me with a thread bear to finish, my "secret" crochet project, a tank top (if I decide not to frog it), my large ghan (if I dont complete it before the 1st) and this Kal. I hope I didn't forget anything. I will have to go check my wip pile to make sure.

I am going to have to write them all down again and cross them off as I go. I do that once a week so I can keep track and keep myself in check otherwise I would have hundreds of wips and no completed projects. Crochet is addictive enough on its own without the added ADD.

Well off to work on those baby blankets. So much to do and so little time left to do it.

See you soon!

After I read the directions a few times I think I got it. I knit like I crochet a little tight,so I will try the knit one yo and a purl yo.I am making my row cards ,there are over 100 rows!

I had a shawl that had more then 1 yo in a row.( one had 3 yo.) Pain in the b--t.. But after you get it all done and blocked it's beautiful.

Yep, you are doing the increases and you do need to purl then knit if you need to. Just remember with most all lace doesn't look very good til it's Blocked.

Right Carla???

I had a shawl that had more then 1 yo in a row.( one had 3 yo.) Pain in the b--t.. But after you get it all done and blocked it's beautiful.

Yep, you are doing the increases and you do need to purl then knit if you need to. Just remember with most all lace doesn't look very good til it's Blocked.

Right Carla???

Knitted lace looks like a rumpled mess until it's blocked. After blocking it gets all glamorous and lacey. — Well, I was going to put in a picture but I can't seem to make it do what I want it to. Oh well.

Huh? The picture is here but it didn't show up in the preview. How odd... in that case let me put in another one. :)

post-11235-135897411225_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897411229_thumb.jpg

Edited by HomekeepingGran
Further confused comment