Purples/Lilac colors for babys clothing

Purple and yellow are Easter colors, and Easter is a time of rebirth and NOT death. If it is a light lilac with some white, it will be fine. I like to use medium shades of rainbow colors with off-white for baby afghans. Some parents ask people not to give pink or blue, they don't want their baby to look like all the others. I say go for it!

Ellie 13

Very interesting. Thanks for all the great info and links, as I didn't know that purple was another color used when people are in the different stages of mourning. Personally, I love all shades of purple and it is my favorite color and has been for many years. In fact my room at my mom's is still done in purple :lol. I think the purple and yellow combo is "in", as I have had several requests for purple and yellow baby blankets. I too would continue on with my work unless the receipient specifically requested that color not be used.

Oh, I have used lilac/ lavender for baby girls for years. Shades of purple hide stains really well for some reason so I will make the most in lilac, and then use pink accents. But as Scooby mentioned, yellow would be very nice too. Somewhere I have pictures of the baby layette I made for a friend.

I think it all comes down to personal choice. If I like a color, I'll use it. I don't care for any of the old traditions or superstitions associated with it. I was married in a black dress lol. I think lavender/lilac/purple would be fine.

Since I too thought her reaction was odd thats why I started this thread. I'm glad to hear that this does not seem to be a univeral opinion. The last thing I would want to do is offend anyone. Also, the baby dress I am making was not for this person. She just felt inclinded to let me know her opinion on the color lilac(purple) for babys clothing.

hmmm there is some really interesting information in this thread, I never knew purple was used in mourning.

Purple is my fave color so if I ever have a little girl she'll have lots of lavender as does my niece since it's also my sister's fave color (and my mom's and our aunt LOL)

Archived