I feel really silly asking - but how do I get the first few

faithpa76

Question

rows on something like, say, a blanket to lay flat and not be shorter than the rest of it?? I have a fairly even gauge - considering how little crocheting I've done - I think it must be something with the initial chain that I need to change. Should I use a larger hook for the chain?? I've redone the same baby blanket 3 times now, looking at my fourth, and really DO NOT want to start it again. I'm losing 3-4 hours of work every time and I really don't have that kind of time to waste with four kids running around, lol!

Any help would be appreciated!

17 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

Dot, have you ever used the foundation chain that builds upon itsef? Ch 2, insert hook in back loop of 2nd ch. YO and take off one loop (and that makes a ch), YO and take off two loops. Insert hook in back loop of the aforementioned ch. YO take off one loop (making a ch). YO and take off two loops. *Insert hook in previous ch. YO take off one loop (making a ch). Yo and take off two loops. Continue from * until you've completed the correct number of chains for the project. It makes a nice loose stretch chain.

:( I found the illustrated directions for this somewhere on line but have never been able to find them again. mmouseplus.gif

Guest SamplerLady

I put row two in the loose holes. If you look at the pics Renee shared on that link, you'll see it looks like a chain with loops hanging off the side. I continue my row in those loops. Then there is a nice even chain showing as the foundation. It does look a bit different than we are used to for the foundation chain and the first row. However, it does provide for the stretch we sometimes need. And it's much easier to count when we are making those projects that require a chain of 222 stitches! mmouseplus.gif

Guest SamplerLady
SamplerLady--Are these the directions you were talking about?
No, but they are just like them and will certainly fit the bill when I'm trying to explain this to someone! Thank you so very, very, very, very much! :ty

It's a wonderful technique to know and really does make a nice stretchy foundation.

Thanks again! mmouseplus.gif

I learned the hard way.. when they say "chain loosely" ...

they mean it.

:rofl

I had never heard of the larger hook thing. :thinking1 I've got to try that next time.

I've used the larger hook size idea and it works, somewhat. It didn't completly resolve my problem.

I've found that if the second row is sc in each chain across (or around) if I do sc, ch 1, sk 1, sc in next, across (or around) my work is even on both ends. Work your next row according to your instructions, using the ch-1 space exactly the same way you would if it was a sc.

This method gives the starting chain room to "relax" and it gives it "stretchability".

I usually start all my designs with this method.

Guest SamplerLady

You also might try crocheting for five minutes with some scrap yarn before you start on the project. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to loosen up and get your tension and rhythm coordinated. mmouseplus.gif

Archived